Triple Boot Help

hotai

9 posts in this topic

Ok I have all of the things I need. I have a SSE3 capable system and all the disks I need. That includes the WinXP Pro Install, OSX86 DVD, and all of the RedHat linux cds. I have a question as to how to install them though. I can do RedHat and Windows XP fine, Done them too many times to count. But as for the OSX86 I get confused. What order should I install them in? I heard (or read) somewhere that I need to do OSX - XP - RH. Is this correct?

And I have gotten OSX to install on my system before, but I couldn't get it to actually boot up. I just got a c(k)onsole with a command line. I wasn't sure as to what to do with that. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for this site, it has been an amazing help!

Ok I have all of the things I need. I have a SSE3 capable system and all the disks I need. That includes the WinXP Pro Install, OSX86 DVD, and all of the RedHat linux cds. I have a question as to how to install them though. I can do RedHat and Windows XP fine, Done them too many times to count. But as for the OSX86 I get confused. What order should I install them in? I heard (or read) somewhere that I need to do OSX - XP - RH. Is this correct?

And I have gotten OSX to install on my system before, but I couldn't get it to actually boot up. I just got a c(k)onsole with a command line. I wasn't sure as to what to do with that. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for this site, it has been an amazing help!

OSX - XP - RH should work in this installation order:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=3853

If you have problems to boot OSX86 after installation post you specs and maybe someone can help ;)

Sweet that helped alot, I will try that. As for system specs:

AMD64 3000+

Neo KX8T Mobo

1Gig DDR 2300 RAM

ATI Radeon 9700XT

Soundblaster Audigy Platinum ZS

200 GB Western Digital IDE drive

2 250 GB Western Digital SATA drives in RAID 0 config. (I am leaving them be.)

I have a 40 giger sitting around in case we need that.

I believe the my proc is SSE3 compatible, or so I have read. So if you ever need anything else...

Sweet that helped alot, I will try that. As for system specs:

AMD64 3000+

Neo KX8T Mobo

1Gig DDR 2300 RAM

ATI Radeon 9700XT

Soundblaster Audigy Platinum ZS

200 GB Western Digital IDE drive

2 250 GB Western Digital SATA drives in RAID 0 config. (I am leaving them be.)

I have a 40 giger sitting around in case we need that.

I believe the my proc is SSE3 compatible, or so I have read. So if you ever need anything else...

Do you have OSX86 installed right now?

Does it boot in failsafe with -x ?

Do you have OSX86 installed right now?

Does it boot in failsafe with -x ?

Well I did have it installed. I used the SSE3 package and tried to install it again as per your instructions. But for some reason it won't complete the install now. It locks up after it finishes and sits there. Is there some way I can test my HDD for errors? I downloaded that live *nix distro in your other link (I had knoppix and just wanted to make sure I had one that worked). Other than that I am not quite sure what is wrong. I let the DVD check itself before it installs everytime as well too though, so that it is verified. Win XP and RH work fine (from previous installations) so I believe that my disk is still in good shape.

EDIT: Should I try the SEE2? I haven't actually gotten the OS to boot yet. So I will try to do some Diags on my HDD and then try installing it again.

Well I did have it installed. I used the SSE3 package and tried to install it again as per your instructions. But for some reason it won't complete the install now. It locks up after it finishes and sits there. Is there some way I can test my HDD for errors? I downloaded that live *nix distro in your other link (I had knoppix and just wanted to make sure I had one that worked). Other than that I am not quite sure what is wrong. I let the DVD check itself before it installs everytime as well too though, so that it is verified. Win XP and RH work fine (from previous installations) so I believe that my disk is still in good shape.

EDIT: Should I try the SEE2? I haven't actually gotten the OS to boot yet. So I will try to do some Diags on my HDD and then try installing it again.

SSE3, SSE3? What did you try exactly?

At usual you have a DVD or a VMware image for install OSX86. How do you install it?

SSE3, SSE3? What did you try exactly?

At usual you have a DVD or a VMware image for install OSX86. How do you install it?

I have done the SSE3. And I used a DVD, it boots perfectly fine, the installation has been hanging at the end though , while it is running the finalization install scripts.

I have done the SSE3. And I used a DVD, it boots perfectly fine, the installation has been hanging at the end though , while it is running the finalization install scripts.

So the DVD don't finish to install and that's why it don't work, right?

Try evtl. another DVD or if it's the same problem try to dd the deadmoo VMware image to a disk, maybe that works.

I have also succesfully installed OSX and XP and FC4 in that order and it all went fine. I did use the deadmoo image (on this particular laptop, a Compaq N610c, I had trouble with the bootable DVD) which was perfectly straightforward to install, but does have the drawback that I am left with an OSX partition that is too small.

Grub (the FC4 boot loader) is very flexible and works with all the OSs I have tried it with, which must be at least 6.