Won't restart aftter install

boyGenius

2 posts in this topic

I finally managed to install OSX 10.4.8 on an external HD connected by USB 2.0 to my laptop, a Gateway Core 2 Duo. The install finished and then it said it was restarting. When I try to boot to the HD with OSX on it, I get a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner. That's it, that's all. I thought perhaps it might be a jumper problem on my drive, but I've tried various settings, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

BG

Some news. First of all, I'm using a Maxtor drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure. I tried the drive with OS X on it inside the enclosure, in a different machine and it at least started to load, but then crashed. I tried the same drive in that machine, but installed in the box and it worked (faster) but it crashed (faster.)

I also tried another Windows bootable drive in the enclosure in my laptop, and it started, but crashed -- but at least it started.

I also tried every possible jumper setting and every USB port on my laptop -- and there is absolutely no way it will start.

I'm bringing the enclosure back to the store tomorrow, if no one has any solutions for me by then.