OSX86 Installed to Dell Optiplex GX270, odd video problem

Mac Guy Josh

3 posts in this topic

Hello all.

This is my first post to this forum and I'm also new to the OSX86 environment (although by no means new to computers). I've successfully installed the OSX86 image onto a Dell Optiplex GX270 with the integrated Intel video. My issue is that the video displays in a pixelated greyscale regardless of the video resolution I specify at the darwin prompt. Even if I use the -x switch to boot into safe mode, the display still shows in this grey scale. If I disable the onboard video and boot using an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro AGP Card, it will not boot regular (I get the message I must reboot the computer a few seconds into the boot), but it will boot with decent video support in safe mode. So it seems to (kind of) work with the ATI card, but barely with the onboard Intel GMA graphics. I have the BIOS set to 8MB Video RAM (max allowed) when integrated is enabled, and the AGP Aperature set to 256MB when the ATI card is installed. The system is a P4 2.8GHz HT with 1GB RAM. Has anyone else experienced this odd greyscale issue? Ideas?

Thanks! ;)

Josh

• 1 month later...

Change in the bios the video size from 1Mb to 8Mb.

I got the same error and I reinstalled. After that it worked fine.

I am very pleased. Everything works

Audio: OK

Network Card: OK

USB: OK (attached an external USB enclosure and Logitech Wireless USB mouse) OK

Video: 1024x768 (Vesa3 Mode)

• 1 month later...
Change in the bios the video size from 1Mb to 8Mb.

I got the same error and I reinstalled. After that it worked fine.

I am very pleased. Everything works

Audio: OK

Network Card: OK

USB: OK (attached an external USB enclosure and Logitech Wireless USB mouse) OK

Video: 1024x768 (Vesa3 Mode)

I tried it and it worked. for the first time something on this site about how to fix a problem worked and i didnt have to spend all day trying to find it. Knowledage is power thanks buddy..