success story

sziggle

2 posts in this topic

as a total noob to running os x on non-apple hardware, i have been chowing down on a huge amount of info in these forums and on the wiki http://wiki.insanelymac.com over the past few days. so many people have contributed so much and the state of the art is moving so fast that it is very disorienting to try to find the right place to jump in.

but yesterday i installed os x on my non-apple desktop and it JUST WORKED, which seemed pretty amazing to me because i have some weird stuff in my box which i custom-built for a gentoo system almost two years ago -- sata disks, a non-SSE3 AMD64 cpu, and a very, very old silicon graphics flat panel monitor with a non-standard native resolution and a very weird old DVI cable that won't even plug into contemporary graphic cards (so it connects to my geforce 6600gt through an obscure adapter box).

the only thing that didn't work was the linksys WUSB54G v.1 wireless adapter that i use to get on the net (hence i am posting this from the dark side -- my XP install that will soon be a thing of the past when my new trendnet TEW-443PI arrives in a couple days).

after the install completed, i figured that i would be starting the battle at that point to try to get things working. as a veteran of many a linux install, i thought that the battle might last for a few weeks, and i was particularly wary of the graphics card. so on the first re-boot, when os x just started up and showed me a perfect and beautiful native-res 1600x1024 pixel desktop (with both QE and CI supported), i was totally amazed.

so two things: first a big thank you to JaS and semthex for all the work they did in making the kernel and install iso image available and another big thank you to everyone who has put so much effort into helping so many people in these forums. way, way cool.

second, for anyone else who wants to jump on the bus but isn't exactly sure where to start, besides doing a bunch of reading, this is what i did:

1. found on bittorrent an iso called JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso
  2. downloaded a program called ppf-o-matic3.exe [google it] that lets you apply patches to iso's and used it to apply two patches:
  3. JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p.ppf (downloaded from bittorrent)
  4. Defiant.diskutil.7.ppf (downloaded here: http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/55525/Def...util-7-zip.html (see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=271828)
  5. burned the patched iso to a dvd-r, booted from that dvd and installed onto a 10 gb partition that was originally formatted as FAT32.
  6. during the install process, there is a menu that lets you selectively apply patches based on your hardware. that was where some familiarity with my box as well as the reading that i had done here came in handy. it made checking and unchecking the appropriate boxes easier.
  7. after the install, i re-booted and everything (except the linksys usb wireless) just worked

my salient hardware is in my sig.

Edited by sziggle