Trouble mounting partition with xp

hipnosis

4 posts in this topic

Help me please i cant see in the mac desktop the image of my xp partition hd, and i cant boot in that plataform, i ve tried to munt the image from the disk utilities but its imposible because appears in shadow,

i dont know if this problem its because my original disk it was partitioned before mounting the osx86,

if i cant solve the problem how can i recupare my archives and then reinstall everything.

my computer is a pentium 4, processor 2.6 GB, x86, HDD partitioned (3),HD 160 GB.

Help me please i cant see in the mac desktop the image of my xp partition hd, and i cant boot in that plataform, i ve tried to munt the image from the disk utilities but its imposible because appears in shadow,

i dont know if this problem its because my original disk it was partitioned before mounting the osx86,

if i cant solve the problem how can i recupare my archives and then reinstall everything.

my computer is a pentium 4, processor 2.6 GB, x86, HDD partitioned (3),HD 160 GB.

i don't know much about this, but if you can't find a method, you shuld be able to format any partition, then install there win XP and recover your data form there, or linux and mount it from thre and recover your data as well.

Sorry I can't help much, i'm still learning n_nUu

You just need a live Linux CD like Knoppix or take this one (50MB) if you haven't any:

http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html

To see if the XP partition still exist type in a root shell from a linux live-CD:

#fdisk -l

To mount the ntfs partition:

#mkdir /XP

#mount /dev/hda2 /XP

#cd /XP

#ls

If you see your data, everything is ok, you just need a bootloader.Change /dev/hda2 with your ntfs partition (find out with fdisk -l).

Bootloaders:

Grub is free and can boot everything:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

It exist also other free bootloaders and some commercial.

To just boot a Windows XP quicly via the UBCD, Gujin works (you need to enable write on partition):

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Gujin is not so powerfull like Grub, but using the UBCD and Gujin is a fast way to boot a XP if the bootloader has crashed.

If you partition is still there you will have no problem to get your data.

When you can boot booth OS, you can try to fix your Darwin bootloader