Can only read from external harddrive

strip22

5 posts in this topic

WinXP formats the hard drive as NTFS. OSX can only read NTFS, not write to it.

If the hard drive is empty or has no valuable data on it, go to Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and format (erase) the hard drive as MacOS Extended Journaled (HFS+)

WinXP formats the hard drive as NTFS. OSX can only read NTFS, not write to it.

If the hard drive is empty or has no valuable data on it, go to Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and format (erase) the hard drive as MacOS Extended Journaled (HFS+)

Now that sucks, i have to use on both machines, any program that would help..

Fat32 is compatible to both but limited to files of size 4 GB.

The Mac format HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled) can be read/write by Windows using MacDrive or Transmac. If you use Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%, they install a little system file that prevents MacDrive from working. Uninstalling either app doesn't remove the offending system file. You have to find and remove it manually. See the Misc link in my signature and read MacDrive.

Fat32 is compatible to both but limited to files of size 4 GB.

The Mac format HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled) can be read/write by Windows using MacDrive or Transmac. If you use Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%, they install a little system file that prevents MacDrive from working. Uninstalling either app doesn't remove the offending system file. You have to find and remove it manually. See the Misc link in my signature and read MacDrive.

Thx for the reply :)