HP EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini with RX560x dGPU (hackintosh)

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Leaving this full post for historical purposes, but the answer to the question is in EDIT2 below.

I was searching for more info about differences between 35W and 65W HP EliteDesk Mini motherboards and found this discussion.  As my testing demonstrated, the i7-8700 (65W TDP) does NOT run reliably on the 35W board.  My testing has also shown that a 65W board will not work at all without the three MOSFETs and Power Inductor Choke Coil that are missing from the 35W board.

I'd like to test a 35W board after adding the missing VRM components, but I don't want to remove them (again) from my one spare 65W board.  Is there anyone with knowledge about discrete components who can provide sourcing information about the VRM parts that are missing from the 35W board (listed below)?  Does the Primary and Secondary identifier of the parts need to be an exact match?

• MOSFET: Manufacturer: Alpha Omega Silicon, Primary Identifier: 6414a,  Secondary identifier: GL9B4B, Quantity: 1
  • MOSFET: Manufacturer: Alpha Omega Silicon, Primary Identifier: 6794, Secondary Identifier: GV9G1T, Quantity: 2
  • R22 0.22UH/R22 SMT Power Inductor Choke Coil, Quantity: 1

I have found similar parts on AliExpress and other sites, but the MOSFETs have a secondary identifier that I listed above and I don't know if I need to match the secondary identifier.  For example, I have found MOSFETs manufactured by Alpha Omega Silicon with Primary Identifier 6414a, but not with the secondary identifier GL9B4B.  I don't know if I need to find exact primary and secondary identifier matches when ordering the parts, or if it is sufficient to match only the primary identifier.

Thanks in advance for any help.  If I can order the missing parts, I'll solder them to a 35W board and test again with an i7-8700.

EDIT: Photos of actual components

R22

Spoiler

R22.jpg.f874611a4c2a2912f7a2827324d8e336.jpg

6414a

Spoiler

6414a.jpg.0f5f4be86864ebd82a8cf1f15ab48f9e.jpg

Spoiler

6794.jpg.7c475ddf77e8301ded5370e79dfce558.jpg

EDIT2: According to this, the second number doesn't matter.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have ordered the discrete VRM components from vendors on AliExpress.  They're going to take some time to arrive.  I'll report back again when I have soldered the components onto the 35W motherboard and re-tested the i7-8700.  My desired outcome is that the additional components allow the 35W motherboard to provide sufficient power to the i7-8700 during benchmarks (a test that previously failed).  I can't believe that I'm the first to try this crazy stunt, so if someone has already tried this, please report your findings.

Note that I found that the 65W motherboard would not POST after these same discrete VRM components were removed.  I think the worst case scenario is that the 35W board boots fine with the additional components, but does not utilize them.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

It does appear that naive optimism was all that was required to predict that macOS 15 would support this hack.  Here's a complete list of supposedly supported Macs in macOS 15 (Sequoia).

EDIT: Here's the official Apple announcement.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1