Installing from SATA Drive (i.e. not USB)

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was getting 'stuck' at the STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE with all my USB attempts so I created a SATA drive of the EFI and Ventura Install, and am booting from that.

This setup gets A LOT farther but now is "looping" with a group of 20 or so messages -->

launchd system/com.apple.bluetoothd  [nnn]  <notice> service state running

a bunch more lines indicating that there is 

... ERROR 3: NO SUCH PROCESS

The group ends with

com.apple.xpc.launchd ... denied lookup: name=com.apple.private.corewifi-xpc  requester = bluetoothd[nnn], ERROR = 159: Sandbox Restriction 

It waits about 5 seconds and repeats with NNN increasing by 1

I've attached the (sn removed) config.plist  and a screen shot

config_redacted.plist.zip Screens.zip

Reduce your boot media to a minimum of kexts, make sure you have a SMBIOS compatible with your hardware, and look on github for an EFI compatible with your hardware.

The only way  can see clear to SOME level of installation is to remove all additional h/w (WiFi, Graphics card) and use my 2nd SATA drive as the source.

I am using the SATA since I cannot get passed the USB installer getting stuck waiting for ROOT DEVICE.

Having read a lot of the Dortania guide(s) I am still unsure how to tune some of the CONFIG.plist as it seems to me that many of the "tools" it calls out have to run ON THE TARGET Hardware to gather that info. How do you do that???

I am hoping to github find an EFI that is based upon my ASUS mobo (as is with it's CPU based-graphics.)  

Any suggestions would be most welcome.  For the time being I am going to update my profile to not include these extras cards to eliminate confusion as to what I am working with.

4 hours ago, tobrien1954 said:

Hi,

I was getting 'stuck' at the STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE with all my USB attempts so I created a SATA drive of the EFI and Ventura Install, and am booting from that.

T

Try A Different USB Slot, Your USB Is Not Configured Correctly

• Like 1

From that guide...

I don't know where I read about the value I have (0000C087)  but I'll try the 07009B3E

07009B3E Used when the Desktop iGPU is used to drive a display
00009B3E

Alternative to 07009B3E if it doesn't work

I'll add USBInjectAll

My BIOS already has SECURE BOOT disabled...

Thanks !

I've read elsewhere that this BLACK screen issue can be quite the rabbit hole.

I've read elsewhere that I should build a windows install first, then use a bunch of tools to get the actual h/w config info for the Ventura build. Apparently these tools can indicate which SSDTs, DEVICE Properties and other important info specific to my h/w.

I am going to try to find a guide to do this ... It makes me wonder if this path can provide H/W specific OpenCore build info ,  makes me wonder why this isn't a preferred means to acquire this info instead of the "guess and check" system that seems to be the norm for OpenCore and H/W matching.

FYI, I mean no insult to anyone... but it is a bit over whelming trying to decode the Dortania like guides when your particular h/w is not listed and "guess and check" seems to be the answer.