USB keyboard randomly stops working | ASUS PRIME Z-490-P | Sonoma 14.1

1 post in this topic

The background

I've recently updated from Big Sur to Sonoma, which also required an OpenCore update from 0.6.3 to 0.9.1. Before the update, everything worked perfectly fine.

I did a few things at once - updated the system (and skipped a few versions), updated the OpenCore config, and updated all the kexts, so I'm not entirely sure what's the culprit - whether it's the system update or something wrong with the config.

The problem

The USB keyboard stops working randomly. Sometimes it happens while I'm using it, but most often, it stops working after sleep. Unplugging and plugging it back in helps. Sometimes, putting the system to sleep and waking it up also works.

The only way to reproduce the problem with 100% accuracy is by opening the Software Update preferences screen (sic!), which is super weird, but then it's guaranteed that the keyboard will stop working.

The issue applies only to the keyboard; other devices like a USB camera or mouse always work fine. Other than that, the system works fine: it's stable, the performance is good, power management is effective, and both sleep and auto-sleep functions operate properly. USB is the only issue.

My OpenCore config

https://pastebin.com/QgyG4ZpQ

Debugging done so far

• Crafted an Opencore config from scratch following the Dortania guide.
  • Updated Opencore from 0.9.1 to 0.9.7 (I initially used 0.9.1 because that's the version supported by the Dortania guide).
  • Validated the config with ocvalidate and with Sanity Checker (result).
  • Updated all the kexts.
  • Replaced my old USB mapping solution (the USBMap.kext), which worked on Big Sur, with USBToolBox.kext + UTBMap.kext. I mapped 15 ports, and they all work fine with both USB 2 and USB 3 devices.
  • Performed an NVRAM reset.
  • Plugged the keyboard into various USB ports (I tried HS as well as SS ports).
  • Tested all USB ports with Hackintool. They all work fine. All mapped ports show up there.
  • Disabled the HS13 internal port.
  • Confirmed it's not the keyboard's fault, as it works fine on Windows.
  • Haven't found anything suspicious in the system logs.
  • Disabled my BCM_4350C2 Bluetooth by disabling the HS13 port, but the PCI card is still in the slot.
  • Toggled ReleaseUsbOwnership on and off.

ACPI patches

• SSDT-AWAC.aml
  • SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml
  • SSDT-RHUB.aml  I used to have it but then realized it's no longer needed as USBToolBox.kext already implements that patch.

Kexts (all are up to date):

• AppleALC.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • NVMeFix.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext
  • USBToolBox.kext
  • UTBMap.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext

Specs

• ASUS PRIME Z-490-P
  • Core i5 i5-10400