Black Screen on Startup (Intel HD 3000 Graphics)

9 posts in this topic

I've installed macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) on my Lenovo IdeaPad Z570, and can’t seem to get the Intel HD 3000 graphics to work properly. I just get sent to a black backlit screen after booting and am wondering why? Anyone have any ideas? The graphics were visible and fine when running my USB installer so I’m stumped.

Attached are my config.plist and SysReport dump.

(I mostly followed the Dortania guide in order to configure this system.)

Finally before anyone asks, I’m certain that the OS was properly installed because I can connect the drive to my MacBook Pro and boot/login successfully.

config.plist SysReport.zip

Hi @cankiulascmnfye thanks for the suggestion, I completely overlooked that in the guide. I added it to my config.plist, however, it doesn't seem to make a difference unfortunately. Surprisingly though (regardless of whether the IMEI device property is used), my old copy of macOS Mavericks boots properly on this laptop and I was able to use Piker-Alpha's ssdtPRGen.sh in order to generate an SSDT for native power management.

I'm not 100% sure (I don't have working audio yet), but I don't believe that the laptop is crashing. I think it's able to login because eventually the system goes to sleep (and wakes up immediately to the black backlit screen). Attached is my SSDT-PM, and some photos/videos of what's going on.

image.thumb.jpeg.56adaf45f5aac0fb3fdff135d9309222.jpeg

SSDT-PM.aml

21 hours ago, Fortitude said:

I've installed macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) on my Lenovo IdeaPad Z570, and can’t seem to get the Intel HD 3000 graphics to work properly. I just get sent to a black backlit screen after booting and am wondering why? Anyone have any ideas? The graphics were visible and fine when running my USB installer so I’m stumped.

Attached are my config.plist and SysReport dump.

(I mostly followed the Dortania guide in order to configure this system.)

Finally before anyone asks, I’m certain that the OS was properly installed because I can connect the drive to my MacBook Pro and boot/login successfully.

config.plist 36.7 kB · 7 downloads SysReport.zip 28.04 kB · 3 downloads

Version of Opencore and which variant  -  Legacy or Uefi is used for downloading?

Hi @droples I’m using OpenCore Debug Version 0.9.7 with the latest versions of almost every kext except that I’m using RehabMan’s VoodooPS2Controller for now in order to get the trackpad working in Mavericks. My BIOS is Legacy (not UEFI).

I’ve uploaded my full EFI to Google Drive for download in order to get past the size limit on this site. Thanks everyone for trying to help me out! Assuming that it’s an iGPU issue, it baffles me that the framebuffer injects this card correctly on Mavericks but gives me a black screen on High Sierra.

Lenovo Z570 EFI Download Link

3 hours ago, Fortitude said:

Hi @droples I’m using OpenCore Debug Version 0.9.7 with the latest versions of almost every kext except that I’m using RehabMan’s VoodooPS2Controller for now in order to get the trackpad working in Mavericks. My BIOS is Legacy (not UEFI).

I’ve uploaded my full EFI to Google Drive for download in order to get past the size limit on this site. Thanks everyone for trying to help me out! Assuming that it’s an iGPU issue, it baffles me that the framebuffer injects this card correctly on Mavericks but gives me a black screen on High Sierra.

Lenovo Z570 EFI Download Link

Test OC v0.9.7 + kext

Okay, for some reason, this laptop was abysmally slow, and out of the blue just started loading everything 1000 times faster… Apparently, the laptop sped up enough to where I could reach the High Sierra login screen with my original EFI. Originally everything would load slow, black screen, and sleep/wake loop.

@PG7 I’m really sorry for wasting your time with this.

I’m a man of science but this almost seems like it magically got fixed. Still, I can’t help but wonder what I did with the hardware to speed it up? I’m guessing this is somehow a BIOS issue related to the boot order and motherboard speed because I can’t get the BIOS to autoload my USB anymore. I have to select it manually.

I swear I’m not making this up or trying to troll this community, here’s a video of it now working:

(I suppose if anyone has experience with fixing automatic wake after sleep on a similar laptop, I’d greatly appreciate it. I'm probably going to swap out the WiFi card for a Broadcom one, and I'm quite experienced with writing AppleALC patches from scratch if I have to as I don't have working audio at the moment.)

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that link @cankiulascmnfye

Turns out I needed that to get AppleALC working! I've managed to write an audio patch for this laptop that I could contribute sometime to the main GitHub repo. I'm just going to test it with some audio software first. In other news, I figured out how to fix the instant wake problem, just creating an SSDT for it at the moment.

Edited by Fortitude
  • Like 1