Opencore breaks automatic mounting of USB devices on Windows

6 posts in this topic

@Xflash2006 I don't boot Windows with an OpenCore EFI (if I do have multiple OSes installed, I install them on separate physical disks and use the BIOS boot menu to select my desired OS), so I'm only able to offer suggestions without anything conclusive.  You and MaLd0n did a nice job with your ACPI SSDTs, so I don't think the SSDTs are an issue.  You may want to experiment with changes in your config.plist.  Test each change one at a time to see if it affects Windows/Linux:

• UEFI > Quirks > ReleaseUsbOwnership (I don't know if this quirk can affect other OSes (I don't know if it's a macOS kernel patch or something else), so you'll need to test).  Read this about enabling EHCI/XHCI Handoff in the BIOS if you need this fix.
  • Your IRQ fixes for TMR, RTC, PIC (ACPI patches in your config.plist) are applied for all OSes.  I don't know how these affect Windows/LInux, so you may need to test with these patches disabled. If these patches affect Windows/Linux, you may need to implement them in SSDTs with _OSI conditions.

Some other things I noticed that you may want to look at (not related to USB, just observations for you to check)

• MaLd0n's ACPI patch for XOSI includes "Windows 15" but yours does not.  I don't know your original (unpatched) DSDT, so you'll need to check this to see if you should include "Windows 15" in your XOSI.
  • You ACPI patches (in config.plist) include PNLF -> XNLF, but you never conditionally call XNLF in your SSDT-PNLF (so this PNLF is defined for all OSes).  If your unpatched ACPI does not have a Method PNLF, you don't need the PNLF -> XNLF rename and you may want to add an _OSI condition to your PNLF method.
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

@Xflash2006 I was looking at your config.plist again and see something I missed during my first review.  You are renaming all _PRW methods to _XPRW.

_PRW -> XPRW

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_06_40AM.png.963d08fa1dad44e5c3fd45e0439e98b7.png

Do you know why you are doing this?  Was this a brute-force way to prevent instant wake?  Since this ACPI patch applies to all OSes, this change may also affect Windows and Linux.  You might want to try disabling this patch as well as the others I mentioned.  I would not recommend a "blanket" replacement of all _PRW methods and for my own hacks, I prefer to target the specific _PRW methods that need to be changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...