After install, computer reboots after showing the Apple logo

zefram69

8 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I've been stuck on Mojave for a while, and with every bit of software telling me that the OS was no longer supported, decided it was time to upgrade. 😄 

I followed the OC documentation, redid the setup a few times.. and finally got into the installer and installed on a different partition. But now, when I try to boot that partition it loads successfully and shows me the Apple logo, as does the USB installer. The USB installer shows it to me for ~10s and then works, however the upgraded partition shows it for ~17s and then just shuts down.

There's no kernel panic, no error that I can see (the messages are flying by too fast, I even tried to take some pictures but they were blurry. I made sure that I didn't have any kexts I didn't need, and tried a few different options but nothing seems to have worked. Here's my config.plist:

https://pastebin.com/GCaFf9WW

Thanks for any help!

There are config errors. Open the Config in ProperTree and click on File>OC Snapshot.

There is also an issue with the Kext Loading Sequence for Bluetooth and Wifi kexts. One of the BT kexts is a nopatchram the other one is patchram, btw.

Check this for the correct order: https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/tree/main/10_Kexts_Loading_Sequence_Examples#example-7-broadcom-wifi-and-bluetooth

You should also implement MinKernel and MaxKernel settings, to control which kexts load for which macOS version

Edited by cankiulascmnfye

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply!

I followed you advice and did those things, but it's still not working. I've even disabled the kexts that I don't 100% need, and we're still getting the reboots. Here's the updated config:

https://pastebin.com/c1jQchrt

There is a validation error, but I can't figure out what exactly it's talking about:

NOTE: This version of ocvalidate is only compatible with OpenCore version 0.9.6!

OCS: No valid serialized value at 0 index!
Serialisation returns 1 error!

Completed validating EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist in 1 ms. Found 1 issue requiring attention.

But I'll remind you, it does actually get into the Apple logo before it shuts itself down. It seems like it's fully booted, and either running an upgrade task (although, it's not saying that) or just booting up the full OS.

I forgot to mention before, but (kinda annoyingly) the recovery partition does start up successfully after every "crash".

• 2 weeks later...

I second @minty_flare's suggestion. Sometimes an outdated OpenCore can cause weird issues, especially with newer versions of macOS. 

Also, have you tried booting in verbose mode to catch any specific error messages? It might give you a clearer idea of what's happening right before the shutdown.

Hey guys! I am using OpenCore 0.9.6. And I am booting with verbose mode.

I'm currently running MacOS on this hardware, and I do tend to boot in verbose mode... and I know that once the boot is done it'll show the Apple logo and then the account picker.. But with the Ventura install (I couldn't find a Sonoma installer), it gets to that same point and just shuts itself down.

One thing that I noticed is that there is a partition on the drive named Update, which doesn't appear in Finder but does in Disk Utility... I wonder if some part of the update process is broken?

3 hours ago, zefram69 said:

I'm currently running MacOS on this hardware, and I do tend to boot in verbose mode... and I know that once the boot is done it'll show the Apple logo and then the account picker.. But with the Ventura install (I couldn't find a Sonoma installer), it gets to that same point and just shuts itself down.

One thing that I noticed is that there is a partition on the drive named Update, which doesn't appear in Finder but does in Disk Utility... I wonder if some part of the update process is broken?

If you haven't already, take a closer look at the verbose boot logs. There might be some error messages or hints just before the shutdown occurs.

Also, since you see the 'Update' partition in Disk Utility, you might be able to glean more info there, like its status or any errors.

By the way, have you tried booting without verbose mode, just to see if it behaves differently? Sometimes, the simplest changes can give different results.

4 hours ago, zefram69 said:

Hi

You could find Sonoma 14.1.2 (23B22) and other releases on https://mrmacintosh.com

Below is Sonoma 14.1.2 (23B22)

https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/24/37/052-09398-A_DIKZGBNOM0/y4rz9dued01dtyl65nxqgd08wj2ar5cr6v/InstallAssistant.pkg

Regards