RX580 & Metal 3 support in macOS

Menelkir

10 posts in this topic

Sorry to parachute here, but I don't know exactly where to ask this question.
Is there a way to "convince" macOS to accept a RX580 as a metal 3? The documentation of Metal 3 support with the reasons doesn't convince me at all.

2 minutes ago, Menelkir said:

Sorry to parachute here, but I don't know exactly where to ask this question.
Is there a way to "convince" macOS to accept a RX580 as a metal 3? The documentation of Metal 3 support with the reasons doesn't convince me at all.

No, because it doesn't support it hardware-wise. You enable metal for the iGPU instead via device property (if you're iGPU supports it). Otherwise get an AMD Navi Card.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

No, because it doesn't support it hardware-wise. You enable metal for the iGPU instead via device property (if you're iGPU supports it). Otherwise get an AMD Navi Card.

I have a Xeon, so no dice.

I'm not gonna grab a Navi just for macOS since RX 580 is a very capable card. My interest was more about a possible improvement between Metal 3 and MoltenVK, so i guess I have to give up.

2 hours ago, Menelkir said:

I have a Xeon, so no dice.

I'm not gonna grab a Navi just for macOS since RX 580 is a very capable card. My interest was more about a possible improvement between Metal 3 and MoltenVK, so i guess I have to give up.

Hi my friend

(Olá amigo)

Vc vai precisar comprar uma placa nova, da série RX 6000 da AMD. 

Edited by Max.1974

18 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

Hi my friend

(Olá amigo)

Vc vai precisar comprar uma placa nova, da série RX 6000 da AMD. 

Ou tentar esse truque do Luchina. 

My RX 580 works pretty well on Ventura, my question was more about supporting Metal 3 (it shows Metal 2).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menelkir said:

My RX 580 works pretty well on Ventura, my question was more about supporting Metal 3 (it shows Metal 2).

Compatible with macOS 13 but not compatible with Metal 3

In your specific case, on AMD GPUs, Metal 3 requires features from the Vega (or newer) architectures. The Radeon Pro 560X, RX 580.... is based on the Polaris architecture, which predates Vega, and therefore it is not capable of Metal 3.

Check this: 

https://bartechtv.com/graphics-cards-for-macos-ventura-in-a-hackintosh-or-mac-pro/ 

I have one RX 64 Vega Gigabyte used to sale. If you Live in Brazil, maybe you can buy it. 

NEED TRY BUY 6 SERIES or Vega Series

IMG_5508.thumb.JPG.bac1b8f843ee52ddd02acbd4153c2267.JPG

IMG_5500.thumb.JPG.19d6547086ac5e8fb38b757c8adb8f44.JPG

My new AMD Gpu is RX 6900 XT

image.thumb.png.90d123e5ea3f20b0591e38db255f729f.png

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 11:29 PM, Max.1974 said:

Compatible with macOS 13 but not compatible with Metal 3

In your specific case, on AMD GPUs, Metal 3 requires features from the Vega (or newer) architectures. The Radeon Pro 560X, RX 580.... is based on the Polaris architecture, which predates Vega, and therefore it is not capable of Metal 3.

Check this: 

https://bartechtv.com/graphics-cards-for-macos-ventura-in-a-hackintosh-or-mac-pro/ 

I have one RX 64 Vega Gigabyte used to sale. If you Live in Brazil, maybe you can buy it. 

NEED TRY BUY 6 SERIES or Vega Series

IMG_5508.thumb.JPG.bac1b8f843ee52ddd02acbd4153c2267.JPG

IMG_5500.thumb.JPG.19d6547086ac5e8fb38b757c8adb8f44.JPG

My new AMD Gpu is RX 6900 XT

image.thumb.png.90d123e5ea3f20b0591e38db255f729f.png

I'm not gonna ditch a capable DX12 and Vulkan 1.3 videocard just because apple said so.

And no, isn't about instructions set, take a look on the screenshots here and take your conclusions.

Edited by Menelkir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Menelkir said:

Eu não vou abandonar uma placa de vídeo DX11 e Vulkan 1.3 capaz só porque a Apple disse isso.

E não, não é sobre instruções definidas, dê uma olhada nas capturas de tela aqui e tire suas conclusões.

Oh.... if with Parallels macOs shows up metal 3 it's nice!!!! Your problems was fixed!! Congrats!! But if you can't make works in Hackcintosh I have no idea how do it. 

Nice!! Congrats!! 

(Pessoalmente tentei apenas opinar, mas não é nada conclusivo a situação das placas AMD, vc precisa entender que nós aqui não temos nenhuma intenção de prejudicar. Apenas tentei lhe ajudar, mas se você~e consegue resolver isso do Metal 3 no Hack, o que eu duvido muito que consiga, pois ninguém conseguiu, mas consegue com o Parallels, então vc deve utilizá-lo. Gostaria de não ter mais esse assunto para lhe responder, pois minha experiência com esta placa se deu lá no Mojave, Big Sur. E eu tenho uma dela ainda numa das minhas máquinas. Mas nem me preocupo com isso, já que Jogos mesmo somente meu filho roda no Windows, com as placas Nvida, que são as melhores no Windows.)

(Personally, I just tried to give an opinion, but the situation of AMD cards is not conclusive, you need to understand that we here have no intention of harming you. I just tried to help you, but if you can solve this Metal 3 in Hack, the which I very much doubt you can, because no one has, but you can with Parallels, so you should use it. And I still have one of them on one of my machines. But I don't even worry about that, since only my son's games run on Windows, with Nvida cards, which are the best on Windows.)

Captura de Tela 2023-07-01 às 13.06.37.png

Edited by Max.1974

2 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

Oh.... if with Parallels macOs shows up metal 3 it's nice!!!! Your problems was fixed!! Congrats!! But if you can't make works in Hackcintosh I have no idea how do it. 

Nice!! Congrats!! 

(Pessoalmente tentei apenas opinar, mas não é nada conclusivo a situação das placas AMD, vc precisa entender que nós aqui não temos nenhuma intenção de prejudicar. Apenas tentei lhe ajudar, mas se você~e consegue resolver isso do Metal 3 no Hack, o que eu duvido muito que consiga, pois ninguém conseguiu, mas consegue com o Parallels, então vc deve utilizá-lo. Gostaria de não ter mais esse assunto para lhe responder, pois minha experiência com esta placa se deu lá no Mojave, Big Sur. E eu tenho uma dela ainda numa das minhas máquinas. Mas nem me preocupo com isso, já que Jogos mesmo somente meu filho roda no Windows, com as placas Nvida, que são as melhores no Windows.)

(Personally, I just tried to give an opinion, but the situation of AMD cards is not conclusive, you need to understand that we here have no intention of harming you. I just tried to help you, but if you can solve this Metal 3 in Hack, the which I very much doubt you can, because no one has, but you can with Parallels, so you should use it. And I still have one of them on one of my machines. But I don't even worry about that, since only my son's games run on Windows, with Nvida cards, which are the best on Windows.)

Captura de Tela 2023-07-01 às 13.06.37.png

You don't get it. I've said the 580 doesn't support Metal 3 because apple doesn't want it. 560X support it and it's pretty much the same instruction set. So isn't just a matter of buying a card they'll probably kill next year.

• Like 1