iGPU Freezes my Computer when Enabled

Fortitude

6 posts in this topic

I’ve got an Intel 10900K CPU with a UHD 630 on my Alienware Area 51m-R2 laptop, and have to disable the iGPU for now because of this freezing problem. Essentially what happens is that I could be doing anything regardless of whether an external display is connected, and the OS will eventually kernel panic freezing my entire screen. The computer has to then be forced off afterwards... Once the computer is turned back on again, it pops up with a page fault kernel panic. I’m not sure what the root cause of this issue is, and was wondering if anyone here has solved this problem lately?

image.thumb.png.aea3117ef854f0abd0531b1e0f17f8a5.png

I’m running macOS 13.3 currently, and this is how my iGPU is configured as of now.

image.png.8026ecc15e5f3c28e2ccee87f27d1dbb.png

Before anyone asks, the stolenmem is set to 30MB for a reason:

I couldn’t find a DVMT setting in my BIOS and I wasn’t sure how or where to find the DVMT setting from the .rom file (you have to run the writeromfile command in the Windows command prompt). After a lot of trial and error, I discovered that the Intel framebuffer doesn’t kernel panic if this key is set to a value less than or equal to 30MB. Regarding the iGPU, it only has one connection. It connects to a single Thunderbolt 3 port on the side of my computer and nowhere else. My internal display is only driven by a direct connection (no mux, just a single eDP cable) to an AMD Radeon RX 5700M GPU.

Edited by Fortitude

@Fortitude Are you certain that the iGPU is connected to the internal display or to any display ports?  I recall trying to help someone with iGPU graphics patching, only to learn that none of the laptop displays were driven by the iGPU.  If none of your laptop displays are driven by the iGPU, then your only option is to patch with a connectorless framebuffer and use dGPU.

EDIT: I just noticed this comment in your post: "Regarding the iGPU, it only has one connection. It connects to a single Thunderbolt 3 port on the side of my computer and nowhere else."  Does that mean you are trying to patch iGPU for the Thunderbolt port?

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, I've got quite a bit of an update as I'm now both completely confused and frustrated:

I managed to extract the DVMT settings from my own personal ROM file, but when I attempt to modify them with modGRUBShell the offset value appears to change, but the system seems to still be locked to a maximum of 30MB and I require the stolenmem patch in order to boot. I tried both the 60MB and 64MB settings, and even tried setting the DVMT lower than 32MB which didn't affect the iGPU behavior. Does anyone here see the problem, and/or have dealt with similar issues? (It looks like the DVMT preallocated memory was originally set to 0MB which makes me wonder why I'm even able to boot in the first place with the stolenmem patch.)

image.thumb.png.c8c9770e277d02fb8808e01b35c2cfcc.png

image.thumb.jpeg.f9b55dc37ef1e94312103f78a8cbc44e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.aa3a5957a0160649fadc318000f3e7c7.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 5/9/2023 at 8:00 PM, Fortitude said:

It looks like the DVMT preallocated memory was originally set to 0MB 

Which makes sense if your laptop doesn't use the iGPU for any displays.  I'll ask again... why are you trying to patch your iGPU with anything but a connectorless framebuffer if your iGPU is connected only to one Thunderbolt port?  Are you trying to patch iGPU for a display connected to the Thunderbolt port?

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1