Install macOS Monterey/Ventura on Dell Latitude 5401 i7-9850H

ltooz_audis

7 posts in this topic

I got a Dell Latitude 5401 with i7-9850H for my hackintosh because it has 6 cores and 12 threads, it's light and has matte screen. Most Dell laptops has some problems for hackintosh, this one also has problems with HDMI. The first one is Micron NVME which prevent any boot without Kernel Panic. This one is lucky to have the keyboard and trackpad that works. Even intel WIFI and BT combo. 

Specs:

- CPU: i7-9850H Coffee Lake  UHD 630- Graphics 0900A53E

- Sound: ALC236 - alcid = 15.

- WiFi & BT: Intel AC 9560 replaced with BCM94360NG to get airdrop working.

- Can't use OpenCore due to SMBIOS doesn't show up in the system. Use Clover V5151 and works perfectly. Using Clover where possible, we can boot from the menu to the Windows EFI internal shared partition solidly unlike OC.

- Must replace Micron NVME because it prevents any bootloader to run without Kernel Panic.

- Will work with both Ventura and Monterey, but Nox player won't work with Ventura and I like to use Android Apps. Ventura has problem loading Audio ALC236 to work because it's a subsystem of Intel Audio. I tried all layout ids and none of them see the codec in Ventura but Monterey works perfectly with id 15.

Getting all the files needed to get this to work. There's an excellent reference here that we can use. 

Clover bootloader: I prefer to use Clover because the dual boot Windows and macOS on the same NVME is more reliable and better than OC. I could never get the Windows to boot from the OC menu regardless of what I used, may be I'm not doing it correctly. OC would boot to Windows well if Windows is in a separate physical hard drive. Right now the version is V5151.

- SMBIOS: Select MacBookPro 15,4, make sure to check the serial number that's not in Apple Serial System for iMessage. Use the mac Address from Ethernet as ROM (from Windows or macOS).

- VoodooPS2Controler: from rehabman version 1.9.2 which only has 3 kexts in the plugin (missing the voodooinput.kext). Using this one you won't have problem of Windows and ALT keys switched functions.

- Voodooi2C.kext (v2.8) + Voodooi2CHID.kext (v1.0): These 2 needed for trackpad.

- FakeSMC.kexts: I prefer Rehabman FakeSMC.kext and all the sensors that works.

- Lilu.kext, Whatevergreen.kext, AppleALC.kext: Get the latest one from here.

- RealtekCardReader.kext: MicroSD card reader.

- IntelMausi.kext: For intel ethernet.

- ECEnabler.kext: use this and the ACPIBatteryManager.kext to display Battery icon.

- ACPIBatteryManager.kext: I use this and ECEnabler.kext for Battery.

- AlpsHID.kext: for voodooi2CHID.kext.

- OpenIntelWireless: Download the correct Airport, BT for Monterey or Ventura.

- NvmeFix.kext: For NVME hard drive.

- BrightnesKeys.kext: For screen brightness.

6/3/2023 Bought a BCM94360NG from Aliexpress for $30 shipped to get Airdrop working both ways perfectly.

6/5/2023 After testing the Ventura 13.4 to make sure it works with the laptop using external USB hard drive. I decided to use Ventura 13.4.

- Everything is working except HDMI sound.

- BCM94360NG Airdrop works perfectly.

- For the sound to work, need AppleALC.kext version 1.8.2 and alcid = 55 instead of 15. 

- The HDMI works only for Screen not audio, can't seem to fix it. 

- The battery lasts more than 4hr with surfing and watching YouTube because the internal battery is 68kWh.

- Sleep/Wake perfectly with closing/open lid.

- Airplay to Samsung TV perfectly.

- iMovie and Handbrake work very fast.

- NoxPlayer is working in Ventura to play Android Apk very nicely.

- iMessage, FaceTime work perfectly.

- Clover dual booting Windows 11 and macOS Ventura on the same 1TB NVME perfectly.

- This is almost a perfect MacBookPro15,4.

Use SSDTTime in Windows to generate ACPI tables for our laptop.

Use USBMap-Master to create USBMap.ket for our laptop 

IMG_8957.thumb.JPG.797246f82c583d8a87d1d0354bc5f845.JPGIMG_9050.thumb.JPG.5572473109a13116c3350aede2ca28f0.JPGpro154_monterey.png.48ff7ca02c604d89bb45dd3898cf94e9.pngimage.png.b36c8e8bb5b50debd0ed4f03c06fea56.pngIMG_9068.thumb.JPG.18c2fb55d75ec1014f2cb89d1c9fdfa3.JPGimage.thumb.png.a423817121e9c552e8132188e6198d86.png

configventura.plist.zip MacBookPro154.zip

UEFI.png

uefi.zip

Edited by ltooz_audis
add more videos
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for this post! It helped me decide to buy this laptop for my next hackintosh laptop.

Can you repost your EFI folder and any other clover files for this build? When I downloaded the .zip you posted above, they both contained generic files without an extension, that don't seem to open anything when I add extensions to them. 

Maybe they got corrupted or something, but I was hoping to get to use the wonderful work you shared. Thanks again for your time and effort sharing with us!

My EFI folder is really big because I have all kexts and ACPI from all my laptops and desktop. All you really need is the config and ACPI files. The Kexts can be downloaded from the internet the latest ones. Look at the kext and acpi folder and see what I used. The customized ACPI and kexts I'll upload.

Cheers,

Louis

thank you!

yes I could certainly use working config & ACPI files!

It just arrived and I'm trying clover bootstick now, but the clover screen isn't showing an option for Mac Os Mojave at all! (It just shows the windows options as I haven't formatted the drive yet, it came preinstalled with windows 10).

It's starting clover from the USB, but just not showing the Mac OS option on it. I'm going to try making another USB installer and see if I get a different result.

I tried my linux mint USB, and it booted fine from that, so I don't think there's any bios issue going on. (I made sure "Secure Boot" was off etc.

When I finish the 2nd USB stick with Mojave & Clover 5151, I'm going to put all the kexts you listed in the "Other" folder. I didn't have those in the first USB Stick, only created with "UEFI booting" option in Clover & the defaults that came with it.

Maybe a missing kext is causing the OS Installer not to appear in Clover's startup?

Step by step as they say :)

Edited by osx505

Yea I think I need some help getting my config to boot the installer. I got the HFSplus driver in which I think was the first problem. BUT - 

no matter what I do next, like 10 or more little edits, the Mojave installer keeps crashing about halfway on initial progress bar. 

I used -v to show you in pics. 

If you could share just your config.plist just so I could get to the installer that would be a huge help. I have no idea why it keeps crashing. I'm thinking it has to do with some video setting (my 5401 only has UDF630 graphics - No other video card is present).

What makes me think this is if you look closely at the text on the -v screen, you'll see when it pauses, the text is clear, but when the Death-Symbol/Kernel Panic appears, all of the text is crooked and garbled. 

As always, I appreciate any of your help & thoughts! Archive.zip🙏

Image.jpeg

Image 2.jpeg

Config.plist.zip

You have to take the nvme out of the laptop to run anything. Remove it and boot with external installer and USB drive new. As long as the *original NVME inside the laptop, can't run macOS.

Cheers,

Louis