Stalling at boot up

MoMo The Clown

10 posts in this topic

So i loaded mac x86 on my second harddrive after long and tedious hours of hard work

when i finally got the thing to load, it went to the mac boot up window.....

I was like "Hoooray!!!"

Then after like 10 minutes of waiting at the Mac boot up waiting nothing happened.....

Another 5 minutes later i got that little circle with the slash through the middle....

then nothing

I went to that menu that tells you whats going on.....it apparently stalled on "USB caused wake event"

any suggestion? Ty in a advanced....

So i loaded mac x86 on my second harddrive after long and tedious hours of hard work

when i finally got the thing to load, it went to the mac boot up window.....

I was like "Hoooray!!!"

Then after like 10 minutes of waiting at the Mac boot up waiting nothing happened.....

Another 5 minutes later i got that little circle with the slash through the middle....

then nothing

I went to that menu that tells you whats going on.....it apparently stalled on "USB caused wake event"

any suggestion? Ty in a advanced....

You tried different boot option? (-x, -v or platform=X86PC)

Sounds like a conflict with the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) and USB on your system.

Try "ACPI -x" in the startup options. Also, even if you are using an USB mouse, try unplugging it during boot and plugging it in later. Same goes for any USB devices you have connected.

What's your system config - briefly - motherboard, graphics, peripherals? Laptop or desktop?

-s-

Asus P4S800 - MX

1 gig DDR SDRAM

2.8 ghz P4 Processor / 500FSB

2 x 80 gig Western Digital Harddrives

Geforce FX5200

450 watt PSU

SOundblaster Live HD Advanced SOund Card

1 Cd R+/- rw+/-

1 DVD r +/- rw+/-

and i am no longer getting that error, I am now getting a error......

"AppleMTRRSupport: Enable memory Range e000000 : 4000000"

folowed shortly by a "Still waiting for root device"

1 gig DDR SDRAM

folowed shortly by a "Still waiting for root device"

You have 1GB in one or two modules? For me that "Still waiting..." message was appearing ONLY if my memory was in DualChannel Mode (2x256MB). I had disabled DualChannel by replacing one of memories with 512MB module (256+512). Now OSX boots everytime I start the computer even with extremelly overclocked memory.

Not sure if this will help, but you could try disconnecting your primary hard drive and booting with just the OSX drive connected (as master or on the master connector on the IDE chain). Depends on how you've installed OSx86 but this sometimes clears 'root device' errors when you have two drives. At least you'll know if the the OSx86 is correctly installed if this works. I'm assuming you're using PATA not SATA drives?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm using an HP zv5000 and was having the same problem (specifically the "still waiting for device" message.)

I solved it by installing from a USB DVD drive (found this info by searching through the compatibility lists on the wiki.)