Mac Mini (late 2012) questions

2 posts in this topic

Hey

So, my hackintosh died, but, my step dad gave me one of these as a stopgap, which is great. But, I have a couple questions. Its the Core i5, with the 500Gb 5400rpm HDD 

So, first up

replacing the drive. I have a 1Tb ssd, which is running the catalina OS for it, just fine, but, its in a wavlink usb HDD enclosure/dock thing. Is it worth paying someone to replace the internal one with this, or, should I attempt it myself? Im not useless, but, it makes me nervous haha

The other thing is, when using the dock, I can have 2 x HDD in it. I have the SSD with the OS, but, if I add a 2nd HDD, the mac wont boot, at all. And of course I cant add it when its on. Is this a known thing? I actually have another dock coming, just a single, as, I will need one for another purpose anyway, but, i am thinking, if the OS SSD is on the single one, it should be ok with the others attached? I mean, I will find out when i get home but wanted to ask the question

If all goes well with the above, last thing is, is it worth looking at the opencore patching thing, to get monterey or the like on it? Or, will it be buggy and super slow?

• 2 months later...

There's a reason that Apple want you to upgrade when a new macOS comes out

Its all to do with running more things , the OS gets bigger and

really bogs down the older machines, Hence the need to upgrade,

I've Upgraded my mid 2013 MacBook Air To Ventura As It Only Went To Monterey

Needless To Say, It Runs Quite Well, That's because its one generation away 

Legacy OpenCore Works Beautifully 

Just Try It And See

Edited by STLVNUB