Audio patching for HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF

deeveedee

10 posts in this topic

@hiphopboy You asked about enabling the rear audio jack on your HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF.  I haven't worked with the SFF (only my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini), so I'll offer some advice to get you started...

The OpenCore config.plist includes DeviceProperties for audio.  Included in the DeviceProperties is the layout-id attribute.

Spoiler

1713019982_ScreenShot2022-11-30at10_09_10AM.png.8f3c44cb69a993660587e260fcf62366.png

I'm using layout-id 20 (Hex 0x14, <14000000>) as shown above for my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini.  This layout-id enables both audio jacks on the front of the Mini.  I was lucky that someone else added G5 Mini audio support to AppleALC.kext.

Your SFF has Conexant CX20632 Audio Codec like the Mini, but since your rear audio jack does not work with layout-id 20 (0x14), you will need to try other layout-ids that are supported by AppleALC and hope that one of those layout-ids enables your rear audio jack.

If you search the Info.plist in AppleALC.kext/Contents, you will find that there are several Conexant CX20632 layout-ids that are supported by AppleALC:

• layout-id = 23 (0x17, <17000000>) ( (HP ProDesk 480 G4)
  • layout-id = 20 (0x14, <14000000>)  (HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini)
  • layout-id = 28 (0x1c, <1c000000>) (no specific PC model specified)

Since you already tested layout-id = 20 (0x14) (the layout-id I use for the Mini) and it did not enable the rear audio jack on your SFF, you can try layout-ids 23 and 28.  To test each layout-id, change DeviceProperties > Add > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) > layout-id in your OC config.plist to be <17000000> and test.  If that doesn't work for you, change layout-id to be <1c000000> and test.

If those layout-ids do not enable the rear audio jack, then the current version of AppleALC.kext does not provide support for your audio configuration.  You (or someone else) would need to submit the required mods for AppleALC.kext to support your audio configuration.

I haven't used VoodooHDA.kext for a while, but VoodooHDA.kext may also be a solution for your SFF.  That's all I have for you.  If you still have questions about your audio, you can ask them here and hopefully someone will be able to help.

EDIT: I tried to minimize my instructions to avoid confusion, but I'll mention something here that you'll read elsewhere.  In addition to changing DeviceProperties > Add > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) > layout-id, you can override layout-id with the boot-arg alcid (e.g., alcid=20).  You can read more about this boot-arg here.  You can use the alcid boot-arg alcid or the DeviceProperty layout-id.  When you use the boot-arg alcid, it will override the DeviceProperty layout-id if you have one.  If you prefer to experiment with layout-ids by modifying the boot-arg alcid, that is up to you.

Edited by deeveedee

@hiphopboy You may want to try VoodooHDA.kext.  I haven't used it for a while and when I last used it, I was booting with CLOVER.  There are versions of VoodooHDA.kext for OC and for CLOVER.  Here is a link to an OC version.  When I used it, it worked very well.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

@hiphopboy Please let me know if you get VoodooHDA.kext working with OpenCore.  I may want to switch to VoodooHDA.kext for my Dell Latitude E6410 here.  I think that AppleALC.kext is related to some of the boot issues that I am having.