Power management Sandy Bridge x79 + Big Sur 11.6.3 + OpenCore 0.7.7

axonleo

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I need some help patching power management in Big Sur 11.6.3 + OpenCore 0.7.7 on my sabertooth x79 motherboard and 3930k cpu.

I'm currently booting with this efi folder but the pm is not stepping down to 1.2ghz and staying at 2.8-3.3 ghz, also core max is 3.3 when it should be 3.8 and cpu fan spins at max as soon I open a simple website which is very annoying :(((

Even the GPU is using too much memory for some reason and not sure if that is normal in Big Sur or also need fixing :(

screenshot

https://ibb.co/PG7YhZS

efi folder

https://easyupload.io/wierwx

44 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Disable SSDT-PLUG and use SSDTPRGen to generate a SSDT-PM instead. Sandy and Ivy Bridge CPUs don't use the X86Platform Plugin for CPU power management.

I've already done that if u check the efi I posted but that doesn't help..

there is additional steps either in config.plist file or oc efi folder or even patch X86Platform in Big Sur like previous osx systems to get pm to work correctly like in the post below to make the cpu step down to correct clock and not go turbo mode as soon one open something as simple as couple of webpages... 

Most of the CPU power management kernel patches in your config are disabled.

Quirks are missing. In order to force enable X86 Platform Plugin you also need these quirks:

- AppleCpuPmCfgLock

- AppleXcpmCfgLock

- AppleXcpmXtraMrs

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Quirks are missing. In order to force enable X86 Platform Plugin you also need these quirks:

- AppleCpuPmCfgLock

- AppleXcpmCfgLock

- AppleXcpmXtraMrs

thanks for the tips, I did enable all 7 patches in config.plist file now and also enabled the 3 quirks and got X86 Platform Plugin loaded in iroreg but the speed is still not stepping down to 1.2ghz at idle and staying at 2.8-3.3ghz.

is there any further ideas I could try to get the correct speed stepping to work properly ?

I'd suggets lowering the base freq to 900 mHz in ssdtpregen by modifyng the terminal command before running it to widen the range where the stepping can operate in. It should look something like this:  path to ssdtPRGen.sh -p 'i7-3930K' -lfm 900 -target 0 -f 3200 -turbo 3800

Or simply modify the data in the "Sandy Bridge.cfg" located in the "Data" Folder and then run the script again:

Change it from: i7-3930K,130,1200,3200,3800,6,12

To: i7-3930K,130,900,3200,3800,6,12

Add this new SSDT-PM to your config and ACPI folder. Then disable the current SSDT.aml and SSDT-PLUG.aml and delete all the other junk in the ACPI folder (all the zip archives) and also disable the kernel patches as well and reboot. Keep a backup of your current EFI on a FAT32 formatted USB stick just in case the system crashes during boot.

You also have 2 add to additional ACPI Patches before generating your SSDT-PM: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/pm.html#sandy-and-ivy-bridge-power-management

Edited by 5T33Z0

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 9:11 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

I'd suggets lowering the base freq to 900 mHz in ssdtpregen by modifyng the terminal command before running it to widen the range where the stepping can operate in. It should look something like this:  path to ssdtPRGen.sh -p 'i7-3930K' -lfm 900 -target 0 -f 3200 -turbo 3800

Or simply modify the data in the "Sandy Bridge.cfg" located in the "Data" Folder and then run the script again:

Change it from: i7-3930K,130,1200,3200,3800,6,12

To: i7-3930K,130,900,3200,3800,6,12

Add this new SSDT-PM to your config and ACPI folder. Then disable the current SSDT.aml and SSDT-PLUG.aml and delete all the other junk in the ACPI folder (all the zip archives) and also disable the kernel patches as well and reboot. Keep a backup of your current EFI on a FAT32 formatted USB stick just in case the system crashes during boot.

You also have 2 add to additional ACPI Patches before generating your SSDT-PM: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/pm.html#sandy-and-ivy-bridge-power-management

maybe i should try your new guide and see if that method work better or what do you think ?

https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/tree/main/01_Adding_missing_Devices_and_enabling_Features/Xtra_Enabling_XCPM_on_Ivy_Bridge_CPUs

On 2/7/2022 at 9:11 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

i tried some parts of ur guide with Big Sur 11.6.3 and used smbios mbp8.3 and 10.1 and imac 13.1 and for some reason im not getting usb support with any of them when i reach the login in desktop so i cant use the mouse or keyboard and just hard restart the pc 😕

i had this problem before with el capitan but fixed somehow in dsdt or some kext but now i cant remember anything about how to fix it.

current EFI https://easyupload.io/34qfi6

My guide is for Ivy Bridge CPUs, not Sandy Bridge. You need different Kernel Patches (if speed step is supported). You should research this yourself.

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

My guide is for Ivy Bridge CPUs, not Sandy Bridge. You need different Kernel Patches (if speed step is supported). You should research this yourself.

Speed step is supported for my Sandy Bridge cpu in my big sur 11.6.3, i even see x86platformplugin is loading while booting now when i enabled the correct kernel patches. The only problem was that i used the wrong smbios which was macpro 6.1 that have heavier clock speed at idle.

But in el capitan i use macbookpro 8.3 which give me the correct speed steps states and also correct clock speed at idle that is 1.2ghz.

Now i just need to fix the usb problem when using macbook 8.3 smbios in Big sur cause i cant use the mouse or keyboard.. any idea how to fix that ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried everything I could to enable the proper CPU Power Management on a HP Z820 with a Sandy Bridge CPU (32nm, V1 Xeon), but failed. Ivy-Bridge CPUs (22nm V2 Xeon), however, work out of the box on Big Sur, without any patches. My conclusion is that it is not possible with Big Sur with Sandy Bridge CPUs. Here is old thread here: 

Edited by Bill Huang

• 9 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 4:35 AM, Guest 5T33Z0 said:

- AppleCpuPmCfgLock

- AppleXcpmCfgLock

- AppleXcpmXtraMrs

Thank, I missing enable AppleXcpmExtraMsrs so it not work, now it fine on Sony VaiO VPCEH18FJ Legacy BIOS