ALC3223 working finally with AppleALC! That was a nightmare!

PaintArm

3 posts in this topic

After a good few days of research, trial and error and headaches I have managed to get my audio working on my Dell Inspiron 15 7537 laptop with AppleALC instead of VoodooHDA. The laptop has an i7 4500U CPU and is running Big Sur 11.6.2.

I have seen many posts around the internet referring to using VoodooHDA but I wanted native audio and here it is.

I used ssdtTime to generate the IRQ fixes (I chose option 1 to FixHPET then option C for Conflicting only patches). You need BOTH the SSDT-HPET and the patches for OpenCore that ssdtTime generates. Add the SSDT to EFI/OC/ACPI and config.plist, using ProperTree, to ACPI->Add (or use OC Snapshot) and the patches to your config.plist ACPI->Patch (I didn't add the patches when I initially generated the SSDT and that's what was hindering me for days!).

With AppleALC and Lilu ready to go, I tried all the ALC283 layout-id's as when I was doing my research to try and get this to work as I had previously noticed within the Resources folder of the AppleALC files, ALC283 has the same CodecID as ALC3223. Seemed a good place to start to find the correct layout.

Many of the id's worked but it was either headphones and no mic or speakers (with no audio) and working microphone until I tried the last one, layout-id 88 (of course it was the last one!)

Layout-id 88 gives me working audio through the internal speakers, it switches to headphones when they are plugged in and works fine and the internal microphone works fine as well. I have working HDMI audio by patching the Framebuffer. Follow the directions from the Dortania OpenCore Post Install guide

**I haven't tested the Line-In option as I have no reason to or the means to do so. Anyone who tries this and has success then it would be nice to know if it works for you also**

I used the boot args alcid=88 to test it works and once confirmed, I removed the boot args and added 58000000 to layout-id under config.plist->DeviceProperties->Add->PCiRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)->layout-id.

Well that's about it! I hope that's everything and that this works for you too.

Edited by PaintArm
HDMI audio now working
  • Like 1