Kernel Task, strange behavior....

Ipotex

2 posts in this topic

Hi friends. I have a problem with kernel_task. Some days it is permanently at 77%, every 2 or 3 hours it drops to 2% for 5 minutes and then returns to 77%. But there are days when it stays all day at a low level. It's a lottery. Every time I start the hackintosh it can happen that one or another option. I have not made any changes, it is just turning off one day that kept working low, to turn on the next day at 77% all day. Maybe tomorrow it starts at 77% or 2%... How can I know which process is causing this problem?

I have tried in safe mode. Switched between OC and Clover. Installed from 0, on another disk. Disconnecting all additional hardware. Changed versions of the kexts. None of this changed that erratic behavior.

PowerMetrics when kernel is at 77% has this line ....  CPU 0:     Vector 0x49(iMac16,2): 20972.48 interrupts/sec

This line doesn't exist when kernel is working appropriately. 

Same problem with Catalina and Bigsur.  No problem with the Capitan and lower versions. 

Thanks for reading me. 

Edited by Ipotex
adding information

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2022 at 2:28 PM, Ipotex said:

Hi friends. I have a problem with kernel_task. Some days it is permanently at 77%, every 2 or 3 hours it drops to 2% for 5 minutes and then returns to 77%.

Try this small trick I've discovered: put PC to Sleep and then Wake up - the kernel_task issue should go away)