Mac OS doesn't reboot after OTA update nor installation disk

ghost8282

1 post in this topic

Hi all!

I have an issue I cannot track the culprit, being there from several months.

It happens/happened in both Big Sur and Monterey, I don't know if it happens also in Catalina and older.

I'm running mac os in qemu (so it's virtualized) with opencore and acidanthera kexts+ovmf bios (always updated to latest master versions), but most things are in common with the traditional hackintoshes.

The issue:

After an ota delta update from system preferences, or after the installation from a mac os installer, the virtual machine doesn't automatically reboot, ONLY after the first stage.

This is what happens (OTA delta update):

1. system preference --> software updates: start to download the ota delta update

2. download finishes, mac os prepares installation, then asks to reboot

3. mac os seems to start the reboot, signal to gpu is lost, but it never start again: virsh is reporting that the virtual machine is running

4. After 30+ minutes I need to force the shutdown the virtual machine and manually start again

5. After this force shutdown/manual start the installation completes without issues, mac os is reboot automatically and automatically completes all the other stages

After an installation from a mac os installer (empty hd):

1. Installation starts and after some time (about 20 minutes) it tries to restart

2. mac os seems to start the reboot, signal to gpu is lost, but it never start again: virsh is reporting that the virtual machine is running

3. After 30+ minutes I need to force the shutdown the virtual machine and manually start again

4. After this force shutdown/manual start the installation completes without issues, mac os is reboot automatically and automatically completes all the other stages

So, it seems to hang in the first stage in both cases.

Side notes:

Virtual machine has no issue with restart/shutdown/start, this happens ONLY in the first stage installation.

I really don't understand why this happens only in the first stage of installation.

Anybody knows what the installer is doing in the first stage that could interfere with the reboot?

What should I look for?

Thank you

Edited by ghost8282