Updating Opencore from 0.6.3 to 0.7.3 Can't Boot Up

Tristan Colborg

21 posts in this topic

Hey there! I recently updated Opencore utilizing the guide on this site "[GUIDE] Updating and maintaining OpenCore (NEW METHOD!)", and then tried to also set up the new Launcher Option using this guide https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/multiboot/bootstrap.html#updating-bootstrap-in-0-6-6. However, when I try to boot my new updated system I can't get it to boot. I can see at boot up that I am on the most current version of Opencore, and I am presented with 5 options. I can't recall exactly what they are but they are something like this:

1. EFI

2. Mac Recovery

3. Reset System

4. Reset NVRAM

When I select EFI it says invalid OpenCore something. (I will try and grab a picture.) 

I also get this error in logging.

00:000 00:000 BS: Starting OpenCore...
00:003 00:003 BS: Booter path - \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
00:004 00:000 OCFS: Trying to locate filesystem on BD427798 BBBC5598
00:004 00:000 OCFS: Filesystem DP is \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
00:005 00:001 BS: Trying to start loaded OpenCore image...
00:006 00:001 BS: Unsupported bootstrap protocol 7 vs 6
00:007 00:000 OC: Boot failed - Unsupported
00:008 00:001 OCB: StartImage failed - Unsupported

I have trouble shot as much as I know what to look for but can't get to boot unless it is from my backup EFI on my usb. Attached is my setup/equipment. 

Equipment

GPU: Sapphire RX580 Memory: 16GB DDR3 OS: Mac OS 10.15.7 PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700 CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 Wifi: Fenvi T919 Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A LGA Audio: Realtek ALC887 Storage: Kingston A400 240GB SSD RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.46.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.38.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.49.17 PM.png

Edited by Tristan Colborg

I can't quite figure out if you are using ProperTree for your config.plist.  If you are, there are problems with it at the moment, certain parts are not working well after OC-clean-snapshot.  There were some changes from OC 0.7.2 to 0.7.3.  The way I got round it, I used the sample.plist from the OC 0.7.3 package, and re-did it, whilst comparing to my old config.plist from 0.7.2.  I think most people had problems with the driver part

Oh and bootstrap has been replaced for some time already, and there were quite a few changes to the config.plist since then.  I think you best re-do the config.plist

Not sure which version of MacOS you are on at the moment.  Are you updating from Catalina to Big Sur?  If you are, you'll need to map your USB ports too.  USBinjectAll.kext doesn't work since the last few Big Sur updates, it was still working on 11.2 I think (can't remember very well).  You may want to check if your USB kext was working well on your working version first

Edited by slam

6 hours ago, slam said:

I can't quite figure out if you are using ProperTree for your config.plist.  If you are, there are problems with it at the moment, certain parts are not working well after OC-clean-snapshot.  There were some changes from OC 0.7.2 to 0.7.3.  The way I got round it, I used the sample.plist from the OC 0.7.3 package, and re-did it, whilst comparing to my old config.plist from 0.7.2.  I think most people had problems with the driver part

Oh and bootstrap has been replaced for some time already, and there were quite a few changes to the config.plist since then.  I think you best re-do the config.plist

Not sure which version of MacOS you are on at the moment.  Are you updating from Catalina to Big Sur?  If you are, you'll need to map your USB ports too.  USBinjectAll.kext doesn't work since the last few Big Sur updates, it was still working on 11.2 I think (can't remember very well).  You may want to check if your USB kext was working well on your working version first

Thanks for responding back. I used PlistEditorPro to make the changes to my config file. 

Yeah I think the issue is the bootstrap piece, and in tried to follow the guide on how to set up the new launcher option but can't get it to work. At least this is what I think is causing the issue. 

As for the OS I am on 10.15.7 Catalina. I haven't been Brave enough yet to update to Big Sur. I was hesitant to even try to Update OpenCore because of breaking stuff and sure enough. Plus I can never keep up with what equipment and changes Big Sur supports with my current set up to know if it will work. 

@Tristan Colborg Can you upload your config please? But remove the data in PlatformInfo > generic.

If none of the fixes provided by Dortania work, the last resort is a BIOS reset, I think. Either by having a reset button or pins on the board that need to be bridged or by re-flashing it.

Edited by 5T33Z0

9 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Tristan Colborg Can you upload your config please? But remove the data in PlatformInfo > generic.

If none of the fixes provided by Dortania work, the last resort is a BIOS reset, I think. Either by having a reset button or pins on the board that need to be bridged or by re-flashing it.

Here is my config file. I will look through the Dortania guide again just to see if I missed anything.

confignoplatform.plist

@Tristan Colborg Okay, good. Basically, get into that config and change BootProtect to None (in written letters), save, reboot, perform an NVRAM reset and then you can update OpenCore. Btw, if windows is installed on a different physical drive, dont use bootstrap, you can always boot opencore from the bios bootmenu if windows boot manger takes over the first position in the boot order. It just causes headaches.

About your config:

• the order of your drivers is wrong: 1. HfsPlus, 2 OpenRuntime, 3. OpenCanopy (disabled currently)
  • RebuildAppleMemory Quirk is enabled, but according to the haswell guide it's supposed to be off
  • You shouldn't have a DSDT File in ACPI – is it a patched one?
Edited by 5T33Z0

If you are still stuck with 5T33Z0's help, I'd suggest:

- use OC debug 0.7.2 instead, and use the sample.plist from the 0.7.2.  

- reduce the amount of kexts to the bear minimum.  The bear minimum would be Lilu, AppleACL, VirtualSMC, Whatevergreen, USBInjectAll kexts, + some special ones for your motherboard, but Gigabyte MB are usually straight forward/

- I'm not sure if you are following any special guide for your specific motherboard, if not, you should try to search for one that is successful.  

- Make sure you are using the latest kexts too, they look a bit outdated from the screenshot.  If you follow Dortania's guide, it should give you the Github links.

- In boot args: try the bear minimum, if you are following guides for your specific motherboard, they should mention them.

Good luck!

Edited by slam

2 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Tristan Colborg Okay, good. Basically, got into that config and change BootProtect to None (in written letters), save, reboot, perform an NVRAM reset and then you can update OpenCore. Btw, if windows is installed on a different physical drive, dont use bootstrap, you can always boot opencore from the bios bootmenu if windows boot manger takes over the first position in the boot order. It just causes headaches.

I already have BootProtect set to none. I feel like I have tried this. So when I boot back up should I select the USB to boot from? I don't have windows on this machine at all. 

I have been able to get OpenCore to show up as the new version as well as the option on my bootmenu but it doesn't load and end up going back to the old one.

20210915_231631.thumb.jpg.2e297be6ac13d2d8b734a57688cb5c26.jpg20210915_231555.thumb.jpg.88e1621c35c0a6762e3ff10f210f7fdc.jpg

@Tristan ColborgOh and really important when running any macOS older than Big Sur with OC 073:

UEFI > APFS > MinDate: set it to -1 (minus 1)

UEFI > APFS > MinVersion: set it to -1 (minus 1)

Minus 1 disables the security checks (date & version) for loading the APFS driver. Otherwise the APFS driver won't load (aka no Disk Icons for starting macOS), which seems to be exactly your problem.

Edited by 5T33Z0

12 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Tristan ColborgOh and really important when running any macOS older than Big Sur with OC 073:

UEFI > APFS > MinDate: set it to -1 (minus 1)

UEFI > APFS > MinVersion: set it to -1 (minus 1)

Otherwise APFS drivers wont load (aka no Disk Icons for starting macOS), which seems to be exactly your problem.

I will give this a shot. Is it worth trying to upgrade to Big Sur? Looking at my equipment should it support Big Sur?

Nope I wouldn't with your CPU. Big Sur has even more stuff running in the background than ever. I would stay on Catalina or Mojave (if 32 bit support is required). Or buy a cheap SSD for 30 bucks and throw Big Sur on there for testing.

@Tristan Colborg Another source of machine not booting: SecureBootModel. Set it to Disabled if the machine doesn't boot

Edited by 5T33Z0

9 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Nope I wouldn't with your CPU. Big Sur has even more stuff running in the background than ever. I would stay on Catalina or Mojave (if 32 bit support is required). Or buy a cheap SSD for 30 bucks and throw Big Sur on there for testing.

@Tristan Colborg Another source of machine not booting: SecureBootModel. Set it to Disabled if the machine doesn't boot

Okay so this is where I am at now. I did what you recommended and got it to boot the new OpenCore and have my drives show up. I selected my HD and it boots until I get the attached error. Then it stops and finishes booting into Recovery. 

20210916_071611.jpg

20210916_071856.jpg

12 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Could I upgrade my CPU with the current motherboard? Or upgrade both with the other equipment I have?

5 minutes ago, Tristan Colborg said:

Okay I changed SecureBootModel to disabled looks like I can get it to boot using the newest OpenCore. However, I don't get an option on my BIOS boot screen for OpenCore am I supposed to?

Never mind got it fixed. I needed to go back into the Config file and change LauncherOption to full. Now when I boot my BIOS menu shows OpenCore as an option and then boots to the OpenCore menu. I select my HD and it boots up... Thanks I appreciate the help!

@Tristan Colborg

Did you update your Kexts as Slam suggested?

Did you disable RebuildAppleMemoryMap as well as recommended by the guide?

The pic looks like issues with the Bluetooth/Wifi kext as well as AppleALC

The hierarchy of your kexts is wrong: Lilu, VirtualSMC, Whatevergreen, Rest

I would start with a minimal set as recommended by slam

1 minute ago, Tristan Colborg said:

Never mind got it fixed. I needed to go back into the Config file and change LauncherOption to full. Now when I boot my BIOS menu shows OpenCore as an option and then boots to the OpenCore menu. I select my HD and it boots up... Thanks I appreciate the help!

Did you change it for the old (063) version or the new one (073)? Because if you changed it back on the old one and then upgrade the misery starts all over again.

I know this sounds a bit silly, I find USB3 flash drives get installation problems.  If you have a USB2 one, it works much better.  

Your MB and Graphics card should be very easy to configure.  

You should only need Boot args: alcid=1

for kexts: should only need: Lilu, Virtual SMC, AppleALC, IntelMausi, USBInjectAll, WhateverGreen.  I think your WiFi/Bluetooth card may need some other kexts, but you can fix them afterwards, once Catalina is installed.

the only problem is ACPI, make sure you don't download from some guide, everyone's a little bit different, try to make your own following the guide, is quite straight forward

the last thing is the Bios settings:

- M.I.T > Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) > Profile 1

- CSM support > Disabled

- Secure Boot > Disabled

- Intel Platform Trust Technology > Disabled

- USB Configuration > Legacy USB support > Enabled

- USB Configuration > XHCI Hands-off > Enabled

- Network Stack Configuration > Network Stack > Disabled

- Vt-d > Disabled

- Internal Graphics > Automatic

I don't have your board, but Gigabyte MB are quite similar.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:46 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

@Tristan Colborg

Did you update your Kexts as Slam suggested?

Did you disable RebuildAppleMemoryMap as well as recommended by the guide?

The pic looks like issues with the Bluetooth/Wifi kext as well as AppleALC

The hierarchy of your kexts is wrong: Lilu, VirtualSMC, Whatevergreen, Rest

I would start with a minimal set as recommended by slam

Did you change it for the old (063) version or the new one (073)? Because if you changed it back on the old one and then upgrade the misery starts all over again.

I changed it on the new version. I switched the hierarchy of my KEXT files on my config.plist, and all my KEXT are updated. It boots up fine, but question is there a way for it to auto select the startup OS? It defaults to whatever is at the top of the list and want it to default to my other hard drive. See picture for example.

20210917_075822.jpg

23 hours ago, slam said:

I know this sounds a bit silly, I find USB3 flash drives get installation problems.  If you have a USB2 one, it works much better.  

Your MB and Graphics card should be very easy to configure.  

You should only need Boot args: alcid=1

for kexts: should only need: Lilu, Virtual SMC, AppleALC, IntelMausi, USBInjectAll, WhateverGreen.  I think your WiFi/Bluetooth card may need some other kexts, but you can fix them afterwards, once Catalina is installed.

the only problem is ACPI, make sure you don't download from some guide, everyone's a little bit different, try to make your own following the guide, is quite straight forward

the last thing is the Bios settings:

- M.I.T > Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) > Profile 1

- CSM support > Disabled

- Secure Boot > Disabled

- Intel Platform Trust Technology > Disabled

- USB Configuration > Legacy USB support > Enabled

- USB Configuration > XHCI Hands-off > Enabled

- Network Stack Configuration > Network Stack > Disabled

- Vt-d > Disabled

- Internal Graphics > Automatic

I don't have your board, but Gigabyte MB are quite similar.

I made the changes to the BIOS that you recommended. I didn't have all the options but the ones I did have I changed. 

From what I remember reading in the guide I don't need a couple of the KEXT files you are recommending. IntelMausi I don't need because my MB has a RealTek ethernet card on it. I also thought I didn't need the USBInjectAll because I thought my set up was Skylake or newer. 

Lastly I can't remember where to change/add the boot args.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.15.54 AM.png

@Tristan Colborg

1. OpenCore doesn't require USBInjectAll. You can enable  XhciPortLimit Quirk in the config, instead. You only need USBInjectAll if you need to create a USB Port Map with Hackintool. If you plain to use Big Sur you need to map USB ports if your board has more than 15 USB ports per controller overall (USB 3 counts as 2 ports: one USB 2 and one USB 3 port).
  2. Startup Disk: you change it in System Preferences > Startup Disk like on a regular Mac. Set it to the disk you want. Alternatively, you can enable PollAppleHotkeys in OC config. Then you can set the default bootdisk by pressing CTRL+ENTER in the BootPicker.