HP 9470m working on Monterey

yahgoo

4 posts in this topic

• 8 months later...

TL;DR I successfully clean installed my HP9470m to  Monterey 12.3.1. But apps like WhatsApp and VS Code crashed as shown below and battery management is not working.

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 2.45.47 PM.png

One step forward, two steps back.
So, I clean installed Monterey 12.2.1 instead.
Checkout Working EFI

HP9470m Monterey 12-2-1 iPad Mini 6 Purple.png

This laptop with SMBIOS iMac16,1 cannot be upgraded to Monterey 12.2.1 with OC 0.7.2. It always stuck with a prompt that “a required firmware update could not be installed” during installation. Strangely, it cannot boot up with a usb installer with OC 0.7.3 and above.

After reading the successful installation of Monterey and Big Sur by @Sirsasana and @Robbish respectively on their ivy bridge desktop, I decided to tinker it by changing SMBIOS to iMac17,1 which was selected by @Sirsasana.
I noticed that the latest genSMBIOS gathers macserial info from OC 0.7.9

So I updated the USB installer with OC 0.7.9 and kexts. I was delighted that it can boot as iMac17,1 with VirtualSMC.kext. My previous Monterey beta installation required FakeSMC.kext in order to boot.

Rename Monterey System Volume name with Disk Utility. According to @miliuco, the workaround is to install Intel Power Gadget in order to update both the OC boot menu entry and the preboot volume with new name.

Edited by yahgoo
Add name
  • Like 1

Battery indicator works more consistently on laptop SMBIOS. I choose SMBIOS MacBookPro13,1 in order for battery indicator to work. I have to revert to MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 because many apps like Whatsapp and VSCode crashed on Monterey 12.3.1 (clean installed or upgraded) with OC 0.8.0 and latest kexts.

Anyway, I have updated EFI

HP9470m Monterey 12-2-1 iPad Mini 6 Purple.png