Kaby Lake intel HD 630 drive internal display?

icarl

8 posts in this topic

Installed OC Big Sur 11.4 on Asus H110T but when connecting internal display directly to motherboard LVDS connector, I get no information on graphics and displays low resolution.  Display is 24" 1920x1200.  Is there a compatibility issue with macOS and these MB type itx boards with built-in LVDS and eDP connectors?  Only tried LVDS as display panel is only LVDS. On windows it displays full resolution.  Tried Clover and same thing.  Is there anything I should look into?  I mean I would think some folks have installed macOS on AIO's and should work?

You'd probably want to use one of the laptop platform ids which already have an LVDS connector. https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md#intel-uhd-graphics-610-650-kaby-lake-and-amber-lake-y-processors

Remember that if you use one of the values from there, you need to reverse the endianness. For example, 0x591E0000 would become 0x00001E91 (59 1E 00 00 -> 00 00 1E 59)

The driver uses the same connector type for both LVDS and eDP so I don't think you need to worry about the difference between the two.

Edited by 1Revenger1

3 hours ago, 1Revenger1 said:

You'd probably want to use one of the laptop platform ids which already have an LVDS connector. https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md#intel-uhd-graphics-610-650-kaby-lake-and-amber-lake-y-processors

Remember that if you use one of the values from there, you need to reverse the endianness. For example, 0x591E0000 would become 0x00001E91 (59 1E 00 00 -> 00 00 1E 59)

The driver uses the same connector type for both LVDS and eDP so I don't think you need to worry about the difference between the two.

Do I need any other information in there from what I already have in device properties?

properties.png.9c14623c542741352245abbaf3f97849.png

22 hours ago, Hervé said:

On top of the mobile graphics properties (framebuffer layout + device id), you should also 1st experiment with a suitable MacBookPro SMBIOS (eg: MBP14,3) before trying to switch to an iMac one (eg: iMac18,2/18,3). Please note that if 0x5912 is indeed a valid Kaby Lake iGPU device id, framebuffer layout 0x19120001 is a Skylake one and therefore totally unsuitable for your UHD 630 iGPU. Please refer to the Whatevergreen User Manual linked by @1Revenger1.

Post your system's hardware specs if you want further assistance. At leat the CPU model if nothing else...

All thanks for the help. Herve, that is the device id that IOReg reports.  I will test every mobile id's on the manual and change SMBIOS to MBP and see. why is the layout you specify unsuitable?  I'm rereading the Whatevergreen manual

MB is Asus H110T thin mini itx

cpu is i3 7300 4.0Ghz

ioreg.png

44 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Once you've sussed out what hardware you have, you should see immediately why the framebuffer layout you chose is unsuitable... I've mentioned why above but you may have missed it.

You should also be aware that injecting the iGPU's native/own id is perfectly useless and unnecessary. See the i3-7300 specs.

Sorry Herve but I don't understand.  When you say the hardware you have what exactly am I missing?  I see the i3 7300 specs doesn't mention anything in the graphics section about integrated LVDS only eDP.  Is that mean it won't work?  In Bios when I select pre-defined panel it has 1920x1200 res but I don't see LVDS next to it like I do other resolution I can choose from?

Oh I see now what you mean.  Funny that was older Layout I used that actually worked and saved as a copy of config.plist, but with low res and no information.  All others I've tried so far goes to black screen, even a couple I've tried and recommend one from the list in the manual for KabyLake.   I will keep plugging away on the rest and see

Unfortunately none of the listed Framebuffer for KL layouts display proper resolution. There is something missing.  At least it now shows some info and saying no Kext loaded.  What kext does it need or am I missing? I wish I can find someone with an AIO KabyLake system post with fully working HD630, so I can explore a config file.

graphics info.png