Need help making Bluetooth adapter work in Catalina

1 post in this topic

Hi there!

I am trying to make a generic Bluetooth adapater work under Catalina. This one was advertised to work on macs.

755110772_ScreenShot2021-06-11at21_57_29.png.c3a1fc561509f10ca84a562b2aaf8e43.png1551692188_ScreenShot2021-06-11at21_57_39.png.9564ca8699abc032b5ef53f4f3553a6d.png

When I plugged it without any modifications, nothing showed up under bluetooth in System Information, but it did show up in USB devices:

1450168523_ScreenShot2021-06-11at22_01_46.png.68f2c212d37a058ef52d6a834c0b85b1.png

I managed for macOS to recognize it as Bluetooth by installing BrcmPatchRAM3.kext, BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext (with the product and vendor IDs added to the Info.plist) in L/E. I got the same result by only adding the vendor and product ID to the Info.plist in the BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext contained in IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E, and also by copying all the IOKitPersonalities from BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext into BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and removing BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext.

In all these cases this showed up in System Information:

837416281_ScreenShot2021-06-11at22_01_20.png.023f6bb3783410c5ea52cf472eacbff7.png

I could access the Bluetooth control panel (though it took a while for it to load), and it correctly found my bluetooth devices but it failed to connect to any of them. The next time after a reboot Bluetooth was no longer available (icon appeared crossed out in the menu bar), but it came back if I unplugged and replugged the adapter.

It was pointed out to me that this is a CSR device, so it should work out of the box without the Broadcom patches. So I unistalled all those kext and repaired permissions, and just added the device and vendor ID to both the CSRBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext and CSRHIDTransitionDriver.kext whitin IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E but the Bluetooth wasn't recognized in any case (however it had been recognized with Broadcom kexts).

I also tested both a CSRAppleBluetooth.kext and a GenericCSRBluetooth.kext that I found around forums, and they didn't work either.

I have also recently configured my USB ports with USBPorts.kext, and they are all tested and working. The adapter works properly in windows.

I'm attaching my troubleshooting info, compiled in a .zip by the Essentials List script.

¿Do you think you could give me any pointers on what to try? I assume that since my devices actually show up, compatibilty should be possible?

Thank you all very much, for your patience and your time, and I hope you have a good week :)

EssentialsList-2021-06-12 18.42.58.zip