SOLVED: How to toggle audio output for general audio and Sound Effects

deeveedee

4 posts in this topic

Solved here.

Is there an easy way to toggle audio output so that both general audio and sound effects are toggled between Line Out and Headphones (without needing to separately toggle the two)?  I'd like to be able to toggle between Headphones and Line Out (for both general audio and sound effects) with one action.  Currently, I toggle each separately.  If I toggle audio output on the menu bar, only the general audio toggles (sound effect does not change output).   Thank you.

My rig configuration is as follows:

• Catalina 10.5.7
  • OC 0.7.0
  • AppleALC.kext 1.6.1
  • Conexant CX20632 Audio Codec
Edited by tonyx86

2 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

Is there an easy way to toggle audio output so that both general audio and sound effects are toggled between Line Out and Headphones (without needing to separately toggle the two)?  I'd like to be able to toggle between Headphones and Line Out (for both general audio and sound effects) with one action.  Currently, I toggle each separately.  If I toggle audio output on the menu bar, only the general audio toggles (sound effect does not change output)...

I don't know if it's what you're looking for but I use AudioSwitcher which instantly switches between outputs (bluetooth speaker / display by displayport) even while playing music.
The problem is, I don't know if macOS keeps Line Out enabled when Headphones are connected.

AudioSwitcher1.thumb.png.e701a0e9c74b092a06ff594eb990c0de.png

AudioSwitcher2.thumb.png.d47750dac1d3a89388ef84ca5b9b2bbc.png

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

Is there an easy way to toggle audio output so that both general audio and sound effects are toggled between Line Out and Headphones (without needing to separately toggle the two)?  I'd like to be able to toggle between Headphones and Line Out (for both general audio and sound effects) with one action.  Currently, I toggle each separately.  If I toggle audio output on the menu bar, only the general audio toggles (sound effect does not change output).   Thank you.

My rig configuration is as follows:

• Catalina 10.5.7
  • OC 0.7.0
  • AppleALC.kext 1.6.1
  • Conexant CX20632 Audio Codec

You always want to have the sound effects on the selected device? I think this could be a solution.

sound_effects.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@wern apfel You nailed it!!!  Do you know how long I've been misreading "Selected sound output device" as "Select sound output device?"  I have been reading that option as a placeholder requiring a selection.  It should be this simple... and it is :)  Thank you!

Edited by tonyx86