Not the typical Facetime/iMessage problem

BJMoose

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a situation that befuddles me.  I have a hackintosh (see signature) that has been updated regularly.  I built it starting with Mojave and updates have worked perfectly all the way through the current Big Sur 11.4.  I've been able to use 'automatic updates' to do the updating.  I've been using this system everyday for audio/video production (Final Cut Pro/Logic Pro X) and everything has appeared to run smoothly and perfectly from the beginning...EXCEPT...for this single dilemma.  iMessage works as it should.  Facetime, however, is another matter.  For some people, when I connect (I'm using ethernet) I can hear them and they can see and hear me, but I can't see them (yes, their video is on).  When I connect to my nephew, we can see and hear each other when using his MacBook Pro, but I can't see him on either of his 2 iPhones.  I have a sister that I have the same problem with me seeing her.  I have another sister who has an older iPad and iPhone and we can see and hear each other on either unit.  I'm at a loss to figure this out.  If anyone has had this situation, I'd appreciate any advice.

P.S.  I should also add that I have 2 Mac Minis and a 2018 Macbook Pro and none of those units exhibit the same issues when connecting to any of these other folks.

Edited by BJMoose
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've literally tried everything I can think of other than doing a complete wipe/reinstall

• Upgraded to latest macOS (11.15.1)
  • Latest OC + kexts 
  • Cleared NVRAM
  • Complete wipe of iMessage/Facetime before creating.. 
  • ... new SMBIOS serial/board and iMac20,2 up from 20,1
  • Changed DNS-servers and cleared cache/restarted (both on this PC and router)
  • Logging out of iMessage/Facetime and AppleID on the pc - separately and combined - several attempts 
  • Using mobile internet connection instead of wired 
  • Using wifi instead of wired 
  • Resetting networking on macOS 
  • Unplugging all USB-devices except camera (idk why this would work)
  • .. probably more I tried but forgot 

Same thing happens: They can see me, but I can't see them (says "poor connection"). If they call from a Mac I can see them fine. It's the same with at least 4 other people as well.

• Like 1

Hi,

Think I've been having a similar issue for a while, I still can't workout what's causing it!

Facetime says "Poor Connection" on my hack, not sure if it's a hack specific issue or MacOS. I have tried formatting and running via ethernet, neither fixed the issues.

Specs -
CPU: Intel i9 9900K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390
GPU: Vega 64
Bootloader: OpenCore 0.7.0

204639728_10215943679224775_2910458731062988158_n.jpg.f1fcad652ddff129a788fbe020ed4171.jpg

205595940_10215943697585234_6395591057941879680_n.jpg.6f56210b7f8a6db442c7fd2329628e30.jpg

• Thanks 1