BIG CRAZY MISTERY about BIGSUR installation, contaminated BIOS MB ?!?

jimiz

12 posts in this topic

HI PEOPLE  
I need really expert can investigate what can be happen really!!!...

have been using mojave for 2 years without any problem, stable and updated. To boot I use a usb / clover key with its efi, and here too never touched again for 2 years, always ok. the boot loading was always fast with the white line running very fast under the apple logo...
of the mojave disk (ssd) and this usb stick, I made ony year ago  2  perfect clones, a SATA HHD, and a USB image, these 2 clones are , tested, and made safe for about a year in case of problems.

THE TROUBLE

In this covid Lockdown time... had the "unhealthy" idea of ?? trying BIGSUR ...
so I took a blank SATA disk for its installation, and created the USB key for BIGSUR..., only , now clover works with OpenCore , not more standar clover efi...so different than before , with moyave and back...
I managed to install it correctly and apart from few problems that I will have to solve (it does not see all the sata, it has no audio ...) it works. !! a success we can say....because my MB is sure not new and the best for those new OSX...  but, still work .

BUT

at this point I unplugged this HHD SATA BIGSUR,  also his usb OC key     .... and I reconnected my mojave SSD, and its usb/boot key ....
(which have not been ruined or written ... important to point this out!)

ARGH!!!!   I realized already from the boot that something had changed, everything returned in verbose mode (instead of the apple) in the middle of the loading purple lines appeared the loading started to struggle and stop, until after a few minutes black screen!   why ? no touch about, was always working for 2 years...!!

I went to check the BIOS, but it was all regular as settings .... especially the CSM DISABLED which has always been essential to start MOJAVE with the AMD RX 580 !!

I immediately thought, ...maybe I "contaminated"  the mojave USB-EFI with something, during the installation of BIGSUR .... ok, no problem ... I got the clone (image) I redid the usb key in a few minutes .... BUT nothing to do. same problem of before... this is not the solution!
maybe ruined the ssd disk with mojave?! no problem ... I got the clone ... (and this is 100% pristine and perfect ) but the exact same thing happens with it too. bot start, not really same of before...and in middle of loading, purple lines come out and few minutes later black screen and end! try to loading with -x or disable kext and and...no solution!!!  whatevergreen  lillu kext...  ? delete, new, old...nothing!!! 

ofocurse......BIGSUR on the other hand, with its disk, and its key, starts and works.

amazing ... what happened? opencr installation bigsur, have contaminated something!!!  what and where ?!?     at this point I unplugged all the HDDs from the computer ... I left only the mojave disk and its usb / efi key. I did a CMOS RESET of the MB bios ... hoping it was messed up with the UEFI .... I put back some necessary things ... (CSM DISABLE, SERIAL DISABLE ....) and rebooted ....

This time, mojave no longer started in verbose as before, but with its usual APPLE .... but the problem remains, that graphic defect appears in the middle of loading, then it struggles to load .... and then black screen .

talking with users hach, have say, bigsur installation was trouble in many users, because something on UEFI hardisk was changed, and can't boot again in windows or anothers os...     but if something is change on hardisk installed,....this is end if I TAKE OUT all the disks of the computer....
SO  it can be only two things responsable.... BIOS of MB , and/or BIOS of the AMD RX580 !!!

not knowing what to do anymore, I took from ASROCK site... the bios that was already installed (the last one available) and I FLASH it ... but still nothing to do, it seems as if something has been memorized, and has altered like the function CSM etc ...with BIGSUR work , with mojave not more...!!

So I do another test,  I change  CSM (enable) on bios..., connect my win10 disk .... all perfect, no problems at boot, none during various tests with the win programs.

EVEN the RX580 card has no problems ...  with windows, and with BIGSUR....

there would also be the bios of the RX580, maybe .... even if everyone excludes that bigsur OC could have done damage there ....
and in any case there is a double bios, selectable by a micro switch.
I tried and nothing changes with one or the other bios (always from the pc off and restarting, of course) ...  

at this point since something has happened and I believe in the bios of asrock !  , and I don't know how these motherboard manage the bios, believe 2 bios are inside one HELP the first one IF have troubles.......but from bios functions there are no options in this regard, if not the FLASH of it .... according to you, I must absolutely discard the hypothesis that it is the bios, contaminated .... or it can be, and in this case, what to try to do, considering that I have already used flash, as well as cmos reset, but did not change the fortunes ????  today I take out the battery...(better of the cmos reset)   so also user name and date is delete....
NOTHING TO DO...always the same situation....

so possibile the last OC and installation of BIG SUR , all things I have made right , and only on USB key and sata disk dedicate of BIGSUR have change EFI or something on the bios of asrock x79 MB , and now something is compromised ?  like... CSM meaby  ???

normaly  clean the bios,   put the CLONE mojave disk , and the CLONE usb/efi key....  without any another disk installed...must work like before...

and if is the bios of the RX580 "uefi" changed ???  can be clean or reflash, without troubles??

any idea ?
Thank you so much

Pictures....  mojave now, where finish to load.. before balck screen   with and without verbose.

image0.jpg

GLICH MOJAVE.jpg

thanks , but no way...
I just try to clean the nvram from clover (usb mojave boot)  with F11....but result is always thesome !!
I just try now your way... step 1 and 2...  nothing to do...  3/4 of load...PURPLE line...slow loading...and black screen...   
really not black...you see a dark gray...you see also the cursor black... you can move, but nothing another, and few secondo later also no cursor.

Il like a problem of GFX with CSM   ....only I just disable from bios...and no another options.

is really to cry!!!  i have all my works on mojave...and now i can never start again!!! also ifI made the clone tima ago , for disasters like that...!!!  

bios of MB I  just, cmos reset, also today out the battery...  nothing change.
Is only the RX580, but...  can be the bios of this changed for opencore installation?!?

any idea what can I try ??  

Edited by jimiz

X-79 is a rather difficult MoBo for Hackintoshing and multi-booting. But I have a Gigabyte GA- X-79 UP4 with Intel i-7-3820 and Sapphire Nvidia GeForce GT 710 Graphics on which  I have been able to boot from OS X Mountain Lion to macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 along with Windows 10 and Linux Min 20.1 using Clover 5132 (as long as I had SSDT created long time back saved in ACPI-Patched folder). 

If you have not already tried , I suggest the following:

• Disconnect all your other HDD or SSD and keep only your Mojave SSD or HDD connected for the time being.
  • Remove and Reseat your Graphics card,  just in case it is not fully seated with all the hardware changes you might have made during previous troubleshoot attempts inside the case. I may d that for RAM modules too. Make sure your BIOS settings are all the recommended ones for Hackintosh. Make your correctly made OS-X Installer USB as First boot device and Power on the PC and in Boot Menu make sure you Select your USB installer Disk to open CLOVER boot Manager screen
  • In Clover Boot Manager screen, scroll down to "Options" and make sure you add -v (Verbose) to other required boot flags .
  • Now switch to your "sick" Mojave SSD /HDD from Clover boot Manager Screen, to continue booting and take periodic Screen photos to catch any screen that looks odd to you and also if the screen stops(freezes) despite colored lines caused by graphics buffering related issues  that can be addressed if you can reach your Mojave desktop. 

Hope this helps
  • Like 1

thanks
I resolved , later many , many hours mojave is relive....!!!
BIG SUR and opencore (oc) system , sometime change EFI from disks and BIOS...
My mojave was made 2 years ago, with clover efi...  the old one.
installing of BIGSUR have change the NVRAM....so he old boot of mojave was compromised...also if I take out SSD and USB during installations.
and also if I have integral clones of them.

SO  first was important to delete the NVRAM,  bios (CMOSRESET)  ...but was not enought.
problem was CLOVER the old one...because for 2 years nobody have touch the old nvram  , NOW was change/delete from BIGSUR...and for the old clover boot on USB efi was impossibile to work again like before!!!  ofcourse...also the clone was thesame.

first I create a NEW , usb...  so I create the EFI partition with clover 5122   (no OC! this is important)
 and I past my old EFI dir (with all , kext and....) 

before star mojave, from menu...F11 (delete NVRAM...)   and let'so go.....
just in the begin I'v see was good....  select mojave OS, and is started in 0,1 sec.... (before was a waiting lag of 3 seconds.)  
the apple picture and line runnins....  is fast and high resolutiuon..... before was slowly and low resolution....
NO more purple LINES and in 10 secondo I was again in my desktop...and work all like before!

so ...the problem was....NVRAM   and sure if I start again BIGSUR (with the usb OC)   the NVRAM will change again, and meaby mojave not start if I not do a NVRAM DELETE again....BUT can work again...

thanks any way for the help!

45 minutes ago, jimiz said:

thanks
I resolved , later many , many hours mojave is relive....!!!
BIG SUR and opencore (oc) system , sometime change EFI from disks and BIOS...
My mojave was made 2 years ago, with clover efi...  the old one.
installing of BIGSUR have change the NVRAM....so he old boot of mojave was compromised...also if I take out SSD and USB during installations.
and also if I have integral clones of them.

SO  first was important to delete the NVRAM,  bios (CMOSRESET)  ...but was not enought.
problem was CLOVER the old one...because for 2 years nobody have touch the old nvram  , NOW was change/delete from BIGSUR...and for the old clover boot on USB efi was impossibile to work again like before!!!  ofcourse...also the clone was thesame.

first I create a NEW , usb...  so I create the EFI partition with clover 5122   (no OC! this is important)
 and I past my old EFI dir (with all , kext and....) 

before star mojave, from menu...F11 (delete NVRAM...)   and let'so go.....
just in the begin I'v see was good....  select mojave OS, and is started in 0,1 sec.... (before was a waiting lag of 3 seconds.)  
the apple picture and line runnins....  is fast and high resolutiuon..... before was slowly and low resolution....
NO more purple LINES and in 10 secondo I was again in my desktop...and work all like before!

so ...the problem was....NVRAM   and sure if I start again BIGSUR (with the usb OC)   the NVRAM will change again, and meaby mojave not start if I not do a NVRAM DELETE again....BUT can work again...

thanks any way for the help!

Glad you fixed the problem using an upgraded CLOVER in the newly created macOSMojave Installer USB disk.  As I said , you can go all the way to macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 , if you like,  with your hardware. I have built Multi- disk (3-4 SSDs) Multi-boot (Windows 10+MacOS +Big Sur+ Ubuntu (or Mint) ) Systems using CLOVER version 5132 on Intel type boards series, 6, 7, 8, 9 , 100, 200, and 300 Series.   I preferred CLOVER over OC because CLOVER was  easier for me to do multi-disk multi- boot systems as I have learned a lot about CLOVER over the years.   

• Like 1

Thanks, yes ..I too.  love clover ...not much, OC mode...

I have installed BIGSUR  in a sata disk (now is outside. pc, because I was working on mojave problem)    
well...people of my country have guide me a little with this installation.
and give me a EFI to try on my USB key, because BIGSUR like not install on my PC...
with this efi,  BS  was installed and seem to work fine...but not without limits. 
2 sata ports (of same sata2 group of 4..)  not work.... need a  right Kext, I use fine on my mojave (all sata ports working)...
NO audio  ....again no kext for BS..... , on mojave 100% ok.
NO LAN......IONETFAMILY.KEXT....not working..... on mojave 100% ok...
and I not see if there are anothers thing what need , BS....  

problems was , when I like to woring the EFI boot oin USB I'v see have no clover, but  OC !!!
I'm not a expert, but with clover something I can do, without help....WITH OC I understand NOTHING....I'v see the guide....GUIDE  ?! this need months before understan something!!  
now for every kext you like try you must say on config.file  and to add patch and string you need a laurea school!!!!
so...for ANYTHING about this OC I need help, and found WHO doit for me... on forums not easy!!! really...  

for that , was for mew a big disaster , if mojave was never working again...

sure I like in the next time, take this HHD with BIGSUR and try to fix.....but in OC? 
the problema is....the USBkey, CLOVER...I use now for boot MOJAVE , and work fine, with all the kext and and and....
I CAN'T USE on BIGSUR....      so also if I start with clover BIGSUR;   sure I can't boot him.

If it can be of any help , you can compare the BIOS options, CLOVER contents (UEFI drivers, Kexts) I had used CLOVER Boot Menu  Screen, and About This Mac screen shots from my system with GA-X79-UP4  . 1710697167_2.CLOVERBigSurMulti-boot.thumb.png.632a02f5e27e89cd0314a1a8183ea56d.png380650010_3.CLOVERBootMenuforMulti-boot.thumb.png.4c926e9ddcf15fed7fea310edd9d708a.png878246055_1.GA-X79-UP4BIOSforHackintosh.thumb.png.63752ab956b51bcba0a9b1e44b641b86.png

2. CLOVER BigSur Multi-boot.png

Edited by cmn699
Duplicate
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, cmn699 said:

If it can be of any help , you can compare the BIOS options, CLOVER contents (UEFI drivers, Kexts) I had used CLOVER Boot Menu  Screen, and About This Mac screen shots from my system with GA-X79-UP4  . 1710697167_2.CLOVERBigSurMulti-boot.thumb.png.632a02f5e27e89cd0314a1a8183ea56d.png380650010_3.CLOVERBootMenuforMulti-boot.thumb.png.4c926e9ddcf15fed7fea310edd9d708a.png878246055_1.GA-X79-UP4BIOSforHackintosh.thumb.png.63752ab956b51bcba0a9b1e44b641b86.png

2. CLOVER BigSur Multi-boot.png

CAN you post here your EFI ?
I will try to start BIG SUR with your efi.... I have different chip set for LAN, but...this I can try to change...
thanks!!! 

18 hours ago, jimiz said:

I will try to start BIG SUR with your efi.... I have different chip set for LAN, but...this I can try to change...
thanks!!! 

I wanted to upload  my EFI as a zipped file. But because of the size limitation of 10MB,   even when zipped, I cannot upload that here. Using the images I have posted you may be able to get all the kexts and drivers to download from public sources. You may even be lucky enough to get SSDTs for your MoBo if you look around.  I am sorry I tried but unable to walk that extra mile because of road blocks.

18 hours ago, jimiz said:

thanks!!! 

Here is an edited lean version of EFI you may try that won't have my config.plist , themes and some MISC files I use for my system

EFI.zip

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimiz said:

need the config.plist   without this impossible to try.

I send you  my email so you cna also send me the EFI up 10Mb zipped!

Unzip and extract this archive , put the "Themes",  if you want to replace your themes folder contents with this one.  In CLOVER my config.plist has selected the theme in this themes folder I am zipping with the config.plist Otherwise you may have to edit the plist to suit your's.  

config_Theme.zip

• Like 1