update to 11.2.3 oc 0.6.6 with strange effect.

T0pol

7 posts in this topic

Succes : download of the update (10 minutes) , preparation , 1st reboot a "MacOS HD" appears in my oc 0.6.6 picker menu at the left of my BigSur volume, I do not remember if it was selected by default.

But no "Mac Os install " ( where there was only my SSD with BigSur.. I select this presuming that this is the "Mac os Install" : ok , apple logo, progress indicator with no mention , works on the HD a few minutes .....
2nd reboot.  No more "Mac OS HD", my system SSD is alone on the OC picker (as before). It boots, apple logo progress indicator and about 9 minutes before login screen. All is working, Safari has been updated too.

But why OC 0.6.6 has renamed the install to "MacOS HD" ?

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 08.41.26.png

What do you mean by "renamed the install to 'MacOS HD'"? "Macintosh HD" usually appears when doing an update, and that's the update volume - it should be selected by default. Once you've rebooted, it should just be your standard SSD, and the name should not be any different than it was before.

• Like 1

Yeah the update volumes generally have no name to them, so OC just uses the default name "Macintosh HD"
If you're drive is showing up as normal though, with the old name, then everything is alright

Edit: It's mostly a Big Sur issue, the updates have correct labels with Catalina and earlier

Edited by 1Revenger1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, T0pol said:

This could be strange if the user names its main drive "Macintosh HD" . The update volumes in MacOS exist therefore they  have names in the system : its an OpenCore issue in fact ..

As a curious thing, at the end of step 1 of the Big Sur installation, the OpenCore menu option that continues with step 2 is called MacintoshHD, but on the subsequent reboot it correctly takes the name of the installation destination disk. This behavior is different from previous versions in that it showed as Mac OS Install from SSD or something like that.

• Like 1

in the previous MacOS BigSUR (11.2.1 -> 11.2.2 update I had to 1) download the update. 2) reboot, select "recovery" 3) wait 40 minutes and 2 reboots to have the update. I have found this trick in a forum in hell and here.
I have descripted this here :