How to select OC boot disk from within Windows 10?

douirc

5 posts in this topic

I recently switched from an Apple magic keyboard plugged in by USB to K380 bluetooth, and can no longer select my boot disk from the opencore boot menu.

When in macOS and wanting to switch to Windows, it's easy.  I simply pick the Windows drive from the Start Disk menu in System Preferences.  But once I'm in Windows and reboot, I just keep returning to Windows.

Can either of these two scenarios be accomplished:

-Make OC only boot to Windows once on reboot, then return to macOS as the default?  That way when I'm done with Windows and reboot, I return to macOS.

-Somehow select the macOS boot drive from inside Windows 10?

Either of these would solve my problem.

Thanks!

Edited by douirc

thanks for the reply.  not sure I was clear enough in my request.

opencore bootloader shows all my boot options no problem and I can pick which OS I want to boot, macOS or Windows.  It always defaults to my last choice, as it should, which means NVRAM is working.  the problem is, since I've switched to a BT keyboard, I can no longer make a selection during boot because EUFI doesn't see the BT keyboard.  as a result, whichever OS I booted last is the automatic pick every time I reboot. 

so, getting from macOS -> Windows is easy enough using Startup Disk in System Preferences, but going from Windows -> macOS is currently impossible.

Is there a way for NVRAM NOT to remember the last OS selected?  can opencore be forced to an OS on every reboot, regardless of the last OS selected?  this could maybe solve my problem.

It is possible to use the boot camp tools to select which OS to boot, assuming you are booting Windows through OpenCore. I'm not sure if it's possible to select though if not booting through OpenCore.
This is an example from my Ryzen Desktop
image.png.fd1ea8153b02a8fa75c4349acbf3be78.png

This does not need to be a bootcamp installation, it just involves using brigadier to download the boot camp tools within windows, and then installing them. You can remove a lot of the drivers from it as well if you don't need them:
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/multiboot/bootcamp.html

• 1 month later...

Wow!  By accident I was clicking the arrows on the BT keyboard instead of the wired keyboard at the opencore boot menu and the BT keyboard worked!  It took a second for the BT keyboard to connect, but once connected I was able to select my boot options and continue loading.  So nice I don't need the wired keyboard anymore.

btw, I have the K380 + Fenvi FV-T919.  Maybe that's why? Does Fenvi have plans to release a 5.0 version that's OOTB compatible with macOS?

Edited by douirc