Upgrading WiFi/Bluetooth antenna?

KrustyKrab

3 posts in this topic

I'm running on a dual boot system with Windows 10 getting my onboard WiFi with it's massive Sharkfin antenna, 2-pins.

As for the Mac, I'm running a YouBo (Fenvi T919 clone) with the 4-pins and very cheap small plastic antennas that get in the way of my cables so they all have to be facing odd angles.

I'm considering getting 2 additional Sharkfin-style antennas. Would they work with the 4-pins PCIe YouBo card? I was advised that 1 out of the 4 pins on the YouBo would be the Bluetooth receiver. Would it still work if it shares half of the 2-pin Sharkfin-style antenna? Hope that makes sense.

Plus, I like the aesthetics of the Sharkfin antenna that can sit on top of my case.

52 minutes ago, KrustyKrab said:

I'm running on a dual boot system with Windows 10 getting my onboard WiFi with it's massive Sharkfin antenna, 2-pins.

As for the Mac, I'm running a YouBo (Fenvi T919 clone) with the 4-pins and very cheap small plastic antennas that get in the way of my cables so they all have to be facing odd angles.

I'm considering getting 2 additional Sharkfin-style antennas. Would they work with the 4-pins PCIe YouBo card? I was advised that 1 out of the 4 pins on the YouBo would be the Bluetooth receiver. Would it still work if it shares half of the 2-pin Sharkfin-style antenna? Hope that makes sense.

Plus, I like the aesthetics of the Sharkfin antenna that can sit on top of my case.

I suppose that, if you connect one of the new antennas to the bluetooth output and the other to one of the 3 Wi-Fi outputs, it should not cause problems and Wi-Fi reception should improve.

26 minutes ago, Hervé said:

I've not idea what OP meant by sharing "

half of the 2-pin Sharkfin-style antenna" but I can categorically state that BCM94360CD requires 4 x antennas to work properly at its expected speed: 3 x antennas for 1300Mbps wireless + a 4th dedicated antenna for Bluetooth. So 4 x separate antennas in total. Less than 3 x wireless antennas = reduced rate.

Sorry I didn't explain it very clearly.

I'm looking at getting 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07JVDNDCR/?coliid=IVP3F0XG12URU&colid=1D55ONI23PPBJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Since the YouBo has 4 outputs, and 1 of these aftermarket antennas only has 2, I presume I would need to get 2 units.

Would this work without issues?

I'm actually quite surprised how difficult it is to find the Motherboard sharkfin antennas for sale by themselves (without the WiFi card as a package).