graphic story

odemolay

10 posts in this topic

hi everyone, my GTX Titan died this afternoon ... going in purple brown and then nothing.

These problems stem from this, for which I am looking for solutions if you have, I searched the net but I am empty-handed.

problem n ° 1: I have a GTX 680 which is supposed to be recognized natively according to the dortania guide. I can use it under Clover 5128 and opencore 0.6.6 with catalina but impossible with Big Sur black screen after the choice of the disc, with nevertheless the visible arrow of the mouse which moves. I tried several Shikiva but it gives nothing if you know a bootarg I am a taker.

so problem n ° 2: I connected my screen in hdmi to the iGPU HD 530 (I have a skylake) with opencore 0.6.6 it's ok for big sur. BUT not Clover I tried all the ig-platform offered by clover configurator nothing impossible gfix error there too I will be a buyer because I like Clover.

thank you in advance.

thank you very much for the answer. Merci beaucoup, je ne sais pas si nous sommes autorisés à parler français.

i didn't try yet agdpmod=pikera i thought it was for AMD cards, i'm quite ignorant sorry.

i tried with iMac 17,1 witch is my clover setting

and iMacpro 1,1 with opencore, i have certainly missunderstood once again, for me this one dont work with iGPU. but is the one who run my iGPU.

i have the strange feeling that cloverconfigurator sometimes dont change the config.plist when we change the settings with ???

my config is : GA-Z170X-UD3, i7-6700 3.4, GTX Titan 6GB, 16GB  RAM , macOS 10.12.4 SSD, 10.15.7 and 11.1 SSD, Clover 5128 and openCore 0.6.5 , W10 SSD

config.plist

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

English only in the International section. You'll be able to post in the French-specific section of the forum once you've reached the necessary member status.

ok copy that, logical. 

thank you for the nvram advise, i will avoid.

i fix the issue, it was igfxfw=2, i removed this boot arg. and now, clover 5128 boot bigsur, with no ig-platform specification at all.

i have to understand now how to make it run with my old gtx 680

Edited by odemolay

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

GTX 680 should work with iMac14,1/iMac14,2 SMBIOS.

i'm afraid this Smbios don't works with big sur

damned i'n stuck 

crazy situation 2 kepler cards but not the same GPU, it seems GK 104 for GTX 680 and GK 110 for Titan, guess it's the point, maybe not the same driver, GK 104 is operational for catalina but isn't for big sur.... 

we should be able to flash the bios of a titan on a gtx 680 ? 

Edited by odemolay

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Incorrect, you can use those SMBIOS with boot arg -no_compat_check... There is only 1 set of driver for Kepler cards in macOS.

thank you very much i didn't knew that happy news for "-no_compat_check"

for kepler driver,  this is exactly why i am trying to understand why it works with catalina and not with big sur ... to be honest i'm going in circles, i looked but i can't find a specific setting from anywhere. :(

this black screen is sad, i can see my mouse arrow moving, but nothing come.

anyway your help is very kind 

Edited by odemolay

thanks i'm gonna study this way, i thought NVCAP value wasn't for Kepler cards. 

i m still surprised that it is working with catalina, with video acceleration and black screen with Bigsur, if it was NVCAP it shouldn't work with both don't you think?

• 6 months later...

I have the exact same problem.

I did an upgrade to Big Sur on a cloned copy of my Catalina ssd.

My system is a Dell T5610 dual xeon E5-2680 v2 with  2 x 10 core/20 threads and a GTX 680 4gb card (fully supported on Catalina oob) using macpro 6.1 smbios

I get the black screen after ioconsoleusers text

I suspected the card was working as the disk light continues to blink.

I put an amd W5000 card in to try it in vesa mode, it boots the the login screen ok and completed the upgrade install/reboot cycles. Once stable I configured remote desktop access and put the gtx 680 back in.

Here's a screen grab from the remote session, I've tried both DVI outputs, one a dual link to a 30" apple cinema display and the other dvi with analog vga monitor. Not tried the hdmi yet. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 18.39.31.png

Edited by dougthomson

I changed SMBIOS from 6.1 to 3.1 and the GTX 680 card is back to fully supported but the USB ports are not working... 

Update:

The built-in USB ports don't work but my Inatech PCIe add-in FL1100 based USB3 card is, supported oob.

Edited by dougthomson
update

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

You need to remap your USB ports after the SMBIOS change.

T'as raison!

I changed back to using USBInjectAll.kext (I had been using the USB export feature in hackintool).

Now running with smbios macpro 5.1 and built-in USB back. Nickel :)

I tried to generate a new mapping from hackintool but the kext file was zero bytes...

ce sont des choses qui arrivent.

Some progress on the issue with my GTX 680 (flashed with mac bios). I'll add a build thread for the Clover v5138 based Big Sur install on the Dell T6510.

I was checking my BIOS settings on the Dell T6510 and noticed it was set to mixed legacy/UEFI mode and that the UEFI Dell logo doesn't show at power on.

I set it to UEFI only (no legacy mode).

On power on the Dell logo showed as usual on my Apple 30" Cinema Display (dual link DVI 2560x1600 res)

I changed the SMBIOS back to 6.1  as both the real macpro 6.1 and the dell use the Intel c602 chipset. It booted up to the Big Sur desktop successfully :)

I also added my mapped usb kext and aml files from hackintool back to clover too, all working well.

Next is to get my nice firewire focusrite saffire audio interface working, it's seen in the hardware but not as an audio device. The way I got it working in Catalina was to upgrade from a Mojave install and working fw audio interface (the software from focusrite is 32bit so will not run on Catalina and above). The built-in audio works well but the focusrite sounds great and has proper headphone amps with volume knobs. 

The above Big Sur install was just a test run on some clean installs just to prove the process works, next is to clone my main Catalina disk and then to test an upgrade install of Big Sur for daily use.

Doug.

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 12.07.48.jpg

Edited by dougthomson
added info