Gt 710 (kepler) not working OOB with Big Sur (but did with Catalina)?

lolwatpear

10 posts in this topic

I'm having issues with this GPU. I had no issue switching a 5700 xt out for it with Catalina. I didn't even change any boot args, kexts, or anything. With Big Sur, I just get 'no signal' when trying to use the card.

I tried messing with the boot args bit , system ID, etc., but nothing. Does anyone know why this would be happening?

It boots with nv_disable=1 , but disables acceleration obviously.

40 minutes ago, lolwatpear said:

I'm having issues with this GPU. I had no issue switching a 5700 xt out for it with Catalina. I didn't even change any boot args, kexts, or anything. With Big Sur, I just get 'no signal' when trying to use the card.

I tried messing with the boot args bit , system ID, etc., but nothing. Does anyone know why this would be happening?

It boots with nv_disable=1 , but disables acceleration obviously.

I have two machine with this card working OOB in Big Sur

726714271_ScreenShot2021-01-01at10_14_49PM.thumb.png.4b3de2c21c5f5a073a02acfdfd44ff01.png

12 minutes ago, lolwatpear said:

I know, so it makes absolutely no sense why it isn't  It worked fine under catalina for me.

It work OOB from Sierra 10.12 to Big Sur 11

1 minute ago, lolwatpear said:

I know lol.  So what would be the reason why I'd be getting 'no signal' unless I nv_disable=1?

Check your bootloader setup or maybe simply reset NVRAM

It work for me both DVI and HDMI no issue

44 minutes ago, Hervé said:

If you still have Catalina, please post a zipped IOReg extract. What output port are you using? DVI and HDMI normally work OOB whilst VGA requires a specific NVCAP value (details posted on IM some time ago).

I'm just using HDMI.  I no longer have Catalina installed and cannot atm.  I strangely was able to have video out after switching my GPU from the first PCIe slot to the second in the OSX installer usb I have.  Thinking switching it worked, I quit the installer, booted to my internal OSX, and then once again no video.  I then booted to the installer and now that had no video yet again.  I dont know what sequence of events made the video for the installer work for a brief moment.  It makes no sense...I changed nothing.  I tried switching the GPU around again, but it hasn't done that since.

Edited by lolwatpear

10 minutes ago, Hervé said:

I'd say your issue is related to SMBIOS. Other than iMacPro1,1, which is inadequate to me, there's no info specified. Try and inject all required info for an iMac model model fitted with a Kepler graphics card (eg: iMac13,2 / iMac14,3 or similar).

Sorry I forgot to mention I tried multiple smbios.  iMac 14,2 is no longer supported with big sur, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.  But I've seen several people have no issue with the gt 710 on big sur.   I tried several of the newer iMac smbios, and they don't work.