Can't get Intel UHD 630 to work on Acer Predator Helios 300 (2020) | i7 10750H | Catalina 10.15.7

avoidzero

4 posts in this topic

Checked WEG patching guide for Intel UHD 630 and tried everything, every framebuffer and device-id combination... Nothing can get me out of VESA mode (stuck to 7mb, glitchy graphics, no acceleration, without VESA I get stuck in IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0).

VESA (using boot argument igfxvesa) is the only way I've been able to get to the desktop.

I'm using OpenCore 0.64 and the latest versions of lilu and weg.

Any suggestions? I've run out of ideas here.

Thanks in advance.

P.S here goes the specs of my laptop and and EFI folder:

SPECS:

• CPU: HexaCore Intel Core i7-10750H, 2600 MHz 

• GPU: Intel UHD 630 (internal) 

• GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 (discrete) 

• DISPLAY: LG LGLGD061E (LP156WFG-SPF3) 

• MEMORY: Micron 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 MTA8ATF1G64HZ-3G2J1 | Kingston 8GB 3400MHz DDR4 

• CHIPSET: Intel Comet Point-H HM470, Intel Comet Lake-H 

• STORAGE: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus (500 GB PCI-E 3.0 x4) | WDC PC SN730 SDBQNTY-512G-1014 (512 GB PCI-E 3.0 x4) 

• INPUT: Keyboard Standard PS/2 | Trackpad ELAN I2C Filter Driver 

• NETWORK: Killer E2600 Gigabit Ethernet | Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless 

• AUDIO: Realtek ALC295 

• MOBO: CML QX50_CMS 

• BIOS: Insyde V1.07 (UEFI)

EFI:

AIDA64 full hardware report for this unit:

Edited by avoidzero

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have a similar system to you so may be able to help. I have the Acer Nitro 5, but it is not the latest Comet Lake, it is Coffee Lake H370 and I have an Intel i7-8750H in my unit
which uses the UHD 630. So far I've been able to get full acceleration in my unit. In fact I have written a guide on how to do this in the forums.
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331516-intel-hd-630-shows-7mb-vram-no-acceleration-qe_ci-kaby-lake-high-sierra/?page=2

The problem I think you're having is mainly three things. First is that your chip has only barely been supported in Catalina (Coffee Lake/Comet Lake) - which happened around Catalina 10.5.4 release. Second your Nvidia card is not fully supported. RTX 2060 is

Turing based and Nvidia has no drivers for it. Third is that I'm not entirely sure if Opencore's ID injection right now is fully automatic unlike Clover which happened after r3602 or thereabouts (where they included better detection of FakeCPUID and Nvidia card info). In Clover if you leave FakeCPUIID and ig-platform-id blank it will fill it in for you (this is after rr3602).

You could try and use Hackintool and see if you can patch your card using my method above. I used Clover and High Sierra 10.13.6 in mine, which offers Pascal and Coffee Lake support. Try this method first before making any major changes.
It could help.

Other than that what can you do? From what I've seen, most would suggest if you're using Catalina that your Nvidia GPU should be disabled in OSX, and allow it to run as a compute unit (if it can) with the Intel GPU as main unit. If I were you I'd enable the internal Intel GPU settings in BIOS and make sure the rest of the BIOS settings are all 'Hackintosh' compatible.  You could try to install CUDA drivers as well for the Nvidia, but whether there are any CUDA drivers for Catalina is a different matter.

There is a setting in Hackintool that allows you to enable your Intel HDMI to run as the main iGPU (which could work with your setup). You could try it, but it only works for Clover I believe.

Other settings you could try:
If it helps, see if you've added these patches in your setup:

change GFX0 to IGPU 47465830 49475055 NO IGPU Rename for IGPU PM. Only use if you're using IGPU
change PEGP to GFX0 50454750 47465830 NO GPU Rename for GPU PM
change HECI to IMEI 48454349 494D4549 NO  
change MEI to IMEI 4D45495F 494D4549 NO  
change HDAS to HDEF 48444153 48444546 NO Audio Rename for Audio Function

Also this if you're using OpenCore as bootloader:

Mount your EFI Partition and open your config,plist
Under NVRAM section, find 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 as a UDID.
Add the following

Code:
Key*: nvda_drv
Value:31
Type: DATA

Save your config.plist and enable Nvidiaweb drivers if there is any.

Would you mind posting your EFI folder again? Because your WeTransfer expired. I can have a look at and see what to make of it.

Do not use the renames above, Lilu/Whatevergreen will do those automatically in IOreg/device properties without messing with ACPI. RTX 2060 isn't supported with web drivers at all so that won't help. I guess they're fine if you're not using the kext though the OpenCore docs heavily suggest not using acpi patching to rename devices.

If you're getting stuck at gIOLockState 3, that likely means that the device id is probably fine.

You may need to do some sort of busid patching or framebuffer patching to get it to work, or try some other ig-platform-id. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/gpu-patching/intel-patching/busid.html#mapping-the-video-ports

It may be worth looking at all of the possible ig-platform-id and other fixes from WhateverGreen as well, both in the Readme and under Docs/IntelHD. Remember that if your using a platform Id from Whatevergreen's list that you reverse the order of the bytes. For example, 12345678 would be 78 56 34 12 in device properties.

Edited by 1Revenger1