PCIe USB 3 card NEC uPD720201 with 10.15.7

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

Didsomeone managed to get working the silverstone EC04-P PCIe USB 3 card on Catalina 10.15.7 ?

I tried the mXHCD.kext but it produces a terrrible mess. I can see the USB stick on system information, also with a diskutil list, but not with the disk utility program. The stick mounts after a moment (some minutes...) but when it is mounted it freezes Disk utility and aven the system.

I've seen that mXHCD.kext could work up to 10.15.4

This is the card I'lm trying to make wirking :

https://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?area=fr&model=EC04-P

Thanks ! (in advance ;) )

Edited by esoxx
Wrong chipset reference
48 minutes ago, Hervé said:

You may want to give good old GenericUSBXHCI kext a try. Still worked Ok in Catalina for my old ExpressCard USB controllers and 1 of them is based on NEC uPD720202...

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/6562-expresscard-usb-30-controllers/?do=findComment&comment=93098

Thanks for the answer. Can this kext conflict with usbinjectAll kext ? And where do I install it ? In EFI//kexts/others ? Or does it need to be installed in S/L/E ?

It does not conflict with USBInjectAll or USBPorts that handle built-in USB ports. You may inject the kext from your bootloader's kexts folder or cache it from /L/E

8 hours ago, Hervé said:

It does not conflict with USBInjectAll or USBPorts that handle built-in USB ports. You may inject the kext from your bootloader's kexts folder or cache it from /L/E

Thanks I'll give a try.

On 12/14/2020 at 2:04 AM, Hervé said:

It works.... almost !

I installed it in clover/kext/other. If I boot the Hack with a USB 3 stick inserted then it is mounted at session startup, but if I boot the machine with no stick inserted I need to insert fisrt a USB 2 stick in each of the two port (they are mounted, no issue) to have the USB 3 stick recognized and mounted. When the ports are "initialized"  with a USB 2 stick it works fine.

Will it change anything if I cache it ine L/E ? I ask first because, if it si easy to install a kext in L/E in Catalina, removing it is a bit of a pain in the...

Edited by esoxx

I really don't know what makes you say that... :surprised: Deleting a kext from /L/E is as easy as it is to add one there for caching.

Maybe you confuse situation with /S/L/E which is indeed write-protected by default; but you don't need to touch it and it should always be kept vanilla as it's been repeated on and on for years.

11 minutes ago, Hervé said:

I really don't know what makes you say that... :surprised: Deleting a kext from /L/E is as easy as it is to add one there for caching.

Maybe you confuse situation with /S/L/E which is indeed write-protected by default; but you don't need to touch it and it should always be kept vanilla as it's been repeated on and on for years.

Yes, I thought that L/E had same restrictions than S/L/E...