• Intel Core i7-8700
  • Intel UHD 630
  • Sapphire RX 580 4GB
  • Gigabyte Z390M Gaming (Micro ATX)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
  • Cooler Master MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00 MATX Case
  • EVGA 650 GQ - 80+ Gold 650 Watt
  • Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 500 GB

Issue: Every x minutes the screen goes black for 2 seconds and then come back working as if nothing had happened. I'm currently running two 4K@60Hz monitor, one over DP, one over HDMI 2.0. The issue only occurs with the HDMI, I sadly cannot use the DP of that monitor as the port is broken.

I'm currently running Big Sur 11.0.1, however it was happening too with Catalina and a different RX 580 (was an ASUS, now I have a Sapphire).
I already tried switching HDMI cable.

-cdfon boot flag doesn't work either.

I tried reducing from 60Hz to 50 Hz, it does seem to have a small impact, it happens less often but still does. Over 30Hz it never happens.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you
James

HDMI is notorious. I work with video every day and 20% of my time is spent troubleshooting HDMI quirks. In fact I am looking at a system tomorrow with exactly the same issue as yours, except there is no computer involved whatsoever. HDCP problems often show up like this.

So it may not be your setup. I'd suggest a cheap DP to HDMI (or vice versa, they're like $10) to try swapping cables and see if the problem follows the cable or stays with the monitor. That bit of troubleshooting may help you track down the issue.

Last point, -cdfon does not currently work on Big Sur, though it's unlikely you'd see an image at all if it was needed. 

11 hours ago, J Lamp said:

HDMI is notorious. I work with video every day and 20% of my time is spent troubleshooting HDMI quirks. In fact I am looking at a system tomorrow with exactly the same issue as yours, except there is no computer involved whatsoever. HDCP problems often show up like this.

So it may not be your setup. I'd suggest a cheap DP to HDMI (or vice versa, they're like $10) to try swapping cables and see if the problem follows the cable or stays with the monitor. That bit of troubleshooting may help you track down the issue.

Last point, -cdfon does not currently work on Big Sur, though it's unlikely you'd see an image at all if it was needed. 

Thanks ! A DP to HDMI WAVLINK 4K@60Hz adapter worked perfectly. I don't know why I havn't though about it before :)