Hello everyone

leo7854

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :)

It's good to be on board after many years of being just a simple lurker. ;):thumbsup_anim:

I'm new to the whole Hackintosh thing, but I've been an Apple user for nearly 15 years. But I also have been a regular Windows user as well.

Anyways, I would like to finally setup my laptops with some Apple in them, other than Windows 10. But I really don't know where to start.

Currently, I saw that there are no discussions about the 2 Sony laptops I have. So i'm posting the specs, here, hoping that someone can suggest me which version of OS can I install, what do I need, etcetera.

Sony Vaio VPC-EC3M1E/BJ
  • Chipset: Intel HM55
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-460M @2.53 GHz, Arrandale
  • Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1024MB GDDR3
  • LAN: Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • Wireless: Atheros AR9285 b/g/n + Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
  • Audio: Realtek ALC269
  • Ports: 1 x ExpressCard 34mm, 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI, 1 x eSata, 1 x Headphone/Microphone
  • Card Reader: SD-Card Slot (SDHC-/SDXC, Duo/Pro-HG Duo)

Sony Vaio VPC-F21Z1E
  • Chipset: Intel HM65
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC3-10600
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM @2.00GHz, Sandy Bridge
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 1024 MB
  • LAN: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  • Wifi: Atheros AR9287 b/g/n + Bluetooth 3.0
  • Audio: Realtek ALC275
  • Ports: 1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0/3.1, 1 x Firewire, 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone
  • SD (SDHC, SDXC)MS PRO-HG, MagicGate)

I know from the wiki pages that these 2 laptops have been tested with Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Mountain Lion (10.8.5) successfully. And I wouldn't mind using those 2 OSes again. But, if there is a possibility to install something more recent, in the likes of Sierra, El Capitan or Mojave, it will be wonderful.

Many thanks for let me know.

High Sierra seem like the best option for the 2nd Sony Vaio F21 I have, coupled with Windows 10.

I still have the old discs of Final Cut Studio 3 that I bought many years ago, along with my last MBP that died 2 years ago.

Might install Vanilla Snow Leopard on the other Sony with the AMD GPU.

So, what do I need to boot the USB drive with the installer? Also kexts, anything that might need in order to have everything up and running fine, special options, etcetera?

I'm still very new to all of this, so bear with me, please. I never even used Linux at all. So I might need some help from someone with installing everything.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this.

I could only find some install info on OSx86 for my 2 Sony VAIOs for Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, but not for any new version of MacOS.

I will definitely give this one a look, even though I might probably need some help getting things running as i'm fairly new to the Hackintosh scene.