How I got Sidecar (+Handoff/Continuity) working on my Hackintosh

bestivick

5 posts in this topic

I'm sharing this because it took me a lot of trial and error to fix this on my Hackintosh. I'm using Opencore 0.6.0 iMac19,1 with a Gigabyte z390 Aorus I Pro + i7-8700 + 5700 xt.

Sidecar via USB

I first made sure my USB ports were all mapped correctly. Once mapped, I was able to connect to my iPad via Sidecar, but there were some weird graphics glitches.

To fix this, I had to add an empty framebuffer patch in my config.plist for my Intel Coffee Lake 630 UHD graphics (read more). I set 0300913E as the value under Devices > Properties > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) > AAPL,ig-platform-id, and I added shikigva=80 to my boot-args (not sure if this was necessary but it's working).

Restarted my Hackintosh was able to use sidecar as expected!

Sidecar over Network

Bluetooth and WiFi are required to get this working, so I bought a BCM94360CS2 chip with this adapter to get the Bluetooth/wifi to work. No kexts required if you use an Airport card + adapter.

Once I got Bluetooth and Wifi to work, I noticed that I Airdrop was working fine, but continuity/handoff didn't seem to be working. I made sure that Handoff was enabled on both iPad and Hackintosh, but no luck. The Sidecar icon was also not available in the menu bar.

I did the following to get all of the above to work:

1. Go to icloud.com and "Find my iPhone"

2. Remove all devices from failed Hackintosh attempts (there were a lot of unused devices there)

3. On my Hackintosh, go to System Preferences, iCloud, and sign out.

4. Restart Hackintosh

5. Sign back into iCloud

And boom! The sidecar icon was showing in the top right of my screen. When connecting, I was getting a miscellaneous error -6709. I restarted my Hackintosh and it was working as expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManEatingSnail said:

Good to know, I've having issues mapping all my USB ports, this includes the USB C port. I have an iPad Pro so I think once I have cracked the USB issue I should be good to go... Fingers crossed!

Go the easy route - Head over to Audiogod's thread he caters specially for the Gigabyte Aorus Pro board, copy the USBPort.kext from his OC EFI Folder (completely mapped for this board), copy it to your kext folder, add it to the config.plist, reboot, clean NVRAM and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 3:39 PM, eSaF said:

Go the easy route - Head over to Audiogod's thread he caters specially for the Gigabyte Aorus Pro board, copy the USBPort.kext from his OC EFI Folder (completely mapped for this board), copy it to your kext folder, add it to the config.plist, reboot, clean NVRAM and you'll be good to go.

Will that USBPort.kext have an active USB type C motherboard header, the one that you connect to your PC Case ???