unable to get fs for /macos install data error

roflcat

10 posts in this topic

Hi all.
I get the error "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." 5 minutes after starting the install of Catalina 10.15.6. Followed the guide closely and I have done everything correctly as far as I know.
The installer log shows: "unable to get fs for /macos install data" and later "disk1s1 is not convertible to APFS: You may not install on this volume..."

I'm using a freshly installed Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD on my Dell XPS 9550 with specs like wmchris on GitHub. Also using his EFI folder and guide. 

(https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.15/Tutorial_10.15.md)

Hope that anybody can help me. 

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) + GUID Scheme. Should I try HFS (Journaled)? I'm now creating the installer USB from scratch with a freshly installed Clover (r5119) EFI partition on it, just to be sure. 

On another note, the boot from the Clover USB is also failing sometimes (About 1 in 3 attempts is successful). It shows a list of errors, starting with "[EB|`H:CHK] Err (0xE) @ GV boot-signature"

It looks like the image attached (not mine, but similar errors). 

boot-errs.JPG

Edited by roflcat

Can you elaborate how to use that Kext? Nevermind, found out. When I use it, I can get into the MacOS installer, but the SSD is not visible in the MacOS installer. 

I've now tried r5123 and r5124.

Edited by roflcat