Hackintosh with Catalina works, but sometimes freezes with funky cursor

4 posts in this topic

I have successfully installed a running hackintosh system following the Vanilla Open Core guide. Everything works, but under certain conditions (not clear, when exactly) the cursor becomes garbled like on the image attached. Sometimes as spinning beachball, sometimes just the black arrow. I can move it, but no keyboard input or mouse clicks are registered, eventually it will freeze so I cannot move the cursor anymore and I have no other option than pressing the restart button.

It's an ASUS Z390-P motherboard, Intel i9 8-Core, Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB, 64 GB DRAM and Kingston SSD in the M2 slot.

Any ideas why I have this problem? Maybe some setting in the Bios? Can someone point me into the right direction where to look?

I would appreciate any help!

spinning_glitches.gif

• 8 months later...

Did you eventually find a solution? I have recently acquired a 5700XT and am experiencing exactly the same problem. Running 9900K on Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 MB and 10.15.7 on Clover 5123.

I suspect it's unstable memory issue, since 9900K is also new, and I have pushed my memory from 2666MHz CL13 to 3200MHz CL16 as well. But it could be a number of things because I also added a water cooler that means I've taken the whole MB out but hopefully I didn't break anything.