Trouble installing Catalina on Lenovo TS140

bernito

3 posts in this topic

Hello.  I am trying to install Catalina on a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140. I have built several hacks over the years, but do not know why I keep getting hung up using a completely plain vanilla install from a USB thumb drive. I believe all of my bios settings are correct, and I have tried installing with just the FakeSMC.kext in my kext folder.  I suspect it is something in my config.plist, but cannot figure out what the problem might be.  I have searched on and tried several afps_module_start:1689 solutions to no avail.  Any guidance is appreciated.

IMG_8873.JPG

CLOVER.zip

Edited by bernito

On 7/15/2020 at 1:11 AM, Hervé said:

After a very quick look at your Clover config, I'm pretty sure it's got quite a lot of incorrect settings, especially all those ACPI patches you applied + the CPU power management. Given that this is a server platform, you may have configured disks in RAID mode and that's rarely supported on a Hack so make sure you've set disk mode to SATA/AHCI in BIOS.

Then, I could not help but notice the obvious differences between the pack you posted (which only contains FakeSMC as add-on kext) and the screenshot you posted which shows NullCPUPowerManagement, FakeSMC and VirtualSMC. You cannot mix FakeSMC and VirtualSMC, you only use one or the other.

It's going to be impossible to provide much (valuable) assistance without knowing what we're dealing with so please post the computer's specs as a pre-requisite.

Hi.  Thank you for the feedback.  The server is running a single HDD set to AHCI in BIOS.  Here is a screenshot of my latest failure along with the associated Clover folder.

The computer is a stock Lenovo ThinkServer T140 70A4 with the following specs:

Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz 4M Cache
4GB RAM

DVD Drive

HDD

EVGA GeForce 210 DirectX 10.1 512-P3-1310-LR 512MB 32-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card

config.plist

IMG_8877.JPG

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

Ok, so it's a Haswell platform with HD4600 iGPU and a Tesla GeForce G210 dGPU.

1st and foremost, you must know that Mojave and Catalina have no support for nVidia Tesla GPUs; these were last suppported in High Sierra. The only nVidia GPUs supported in Mojave and Catalina are Kepler models. No problems for your HD4600 iGPU on the other hand and that's what you should run on meantime. If you want to use a dedicated graphics card, you may replace your G210 by a cheap Kepler-based GeForce GT710/GT720/GT730 or any other Kepler card or any compatible AMD graphics card (GCN1.0 minimum). You may search the forum on that matter.

Then given that you have a dual-core Intel i3-4330, you should use iMac14,4 SMBIOS as that's the closest you'll get to your hardware specs at present.

You only posted your Clover config, not your Clover folder as stated. Please post it.

Which version of Clover do you use? I recommend you use the latest, i.e. r5119. When you boot Clover, can you press F4 in order to dump your raw ACPI/BIOS tables in the ACPI/Origin folder of your EFI folder and post a zipped copy? This will allow us to check for any patch potentially required.

Try this revised Clover config meantime:

config.plist.zip

Progress.  I switched to the iGPU and moved the USB thumb drive to a USB 2.0 port (I was previously using a USB 3.0 on the front) and now have a different error as seen in the screen shot.  It rebooted immediately after I snapped the picture.  I used your config.plist and tried multiple times to get the ACPI/BIOS tables as requested, but there is never anything in the ACPI/Origin folder.  I have tried pressing F4 once as well as repeatedly while booting Clover.  Do I need to hold F4 down the entire time?  I am using Clover r5119.  Thanks.

IMG_8893.JPG

Edited by bernito