WIFI not working on Catalina 10.15.5 / Aorus Z390i Pro WIFI / Broadcom BCM94360NG

9999x9

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

After 5 days of intense labour I managed to get my first hackintosh up and running. Hurray!

But WIFI is not working and I've been trying to fix it for about 14 days already and I'm out of options now, I've tried everything I could find but I guess I'm lacking knowledge and experience and it might be something simple to fix.

I've replaced the original Intel WIFI CNVi card for a Broadcom BCM94360NG which was supposed to work out of the box. Well, it didn't.

My setup:

- Bootloader OpenCore 0.5.9

- Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.5

- Gigabyte Aorus Z390i Pro WIFI

- Intel Core i7-9700F

- Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8G

- Broadcom BCM94360NG (WIFI & Bluetooth)

Initially, I didn't have any broadcom kexts in the OpenCore kext folder as I thought it would work out of the box, but it didn't work. Then, I added the following kexts to the OC kext folder and later updated the config.plist file using ProperTree editor (with OC snapshot and then save).

- AirportBrcmFixup

- BrcmBluetoothInjector

- BrcmFirmwareData

- BrcmPatchRAM3

It didn't work, I can see the BT icon on the top menu bar but it's disabled (it says "no BT available"). System report doesn't show anything for BT and WIFI.

I then placed the following kexts inside Library/Extensions:

- BrcmBluetoothInjector

- BrcmFirmwareRepo

- BrcmPatchRAM3

- BrcmNonPatchRAM2 (also added, just in case)

But again, it didn't work. I searched on the interwebs and I found many disconnected sources, some very technical which I couldn't test, some really simple. I tested all I could, now I'm in need of help.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

C

Hi,

20 minutes ago, Hervé said:

A Fenvi BCM94360NG is fully supported OOB and does not require any add-on kext at all, whether for wifi or Bluetooth. If it does not work OOB, it's either defective or a fake.

I've also tried a BCM94360CS2 + adapter which also didn't work. I'm starting to think that my motherboard could be damaged as I believe it is very unlikely for two WIFI cards that were supposed to work OOB to fail the same motherboard.

Edited by 9999x9

13 hours ago, 9999x9 said:

Hi,

I've also tried a BCM94360CS2 + adapter which also didn't work. I'm starting to think that my motherboard could be damaged as I believe it is very unlikely for two WIFI cards that were supposed to work OOB to fail the same motherboard.

Before allotting the fault to the motherboard or the card, check the config.plist that the network kext has been enabled. The reason is when ever I compile or update a new OpenCore EFI Folder, for some reason it would enable all other kext bar the Ethernet kext, I would have to enable that one my self. This maybe just a quirk on my machine but worth a shot. Good luck.

5 hours ago, eSaF said:

Before allotting the fault to the motherboard or the card, check the config.plist that the network kext has been enabled. The reason is when ever I compile or update a new OpenCore EFI Folder, for some reason it would enable all other kext bar the Ethernet kext, I would have to enable that one my self. This maybe just a quirk on my machine but worth a shot. Good luck.

Hi eSaF,

That sounds interesting, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to check if the network kexts are enabled in the config.list file. Could you help me with that? Attached are two image versions of my OpenCore EFI folder, one with all the broadcom kexts and the other is my original folder with no broadcom kexts. Also, I have attached my original config.plist.

It would be great if you could help.

Best,

C

Archive.zip

config without broadcom kexts.plist

OC with Broadcom Kexts.png

Original OC without Broadcom Kexts.png

5 hours ago, eSaF said:

Hi eSaF,

That sounds interesting, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to check if the network kexts are enabled in the config.list file. Could you help me with that? Attached are two image versions of my OpenCore EFI folder, one with all the broadcom kexts and the other is my original folder with no broadcom kexts. Also, I have attached my original config.plist.

It would be great if you could help.

Best,

C

Open your config.plist with Xcode or better still a copy of PlistEdit Pro and ensure your Ethernet kext is enabled like the example shown if not make the change and don't forget to save. I don't know but maybe it would help if you put the AirportBrcmFixup.kext in the  kext folder and add it also to the config.plist.

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 16.48.13.png

3 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Open your config.plist with Xcode or better still a copy of PlistEdit Pro and ensure your Ethernet kext is enabled like the example shown if not make the change and don't forget to save. I don't know but maybe it would help if you put the AirportBrcmFixup.kext in the  kext folder and add it also to the config.plist.

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 16.48.13.png

Hi eSaF,

Thank for your response, much appreciated.

It seems to me that IntelMausi.kext is Ethernet related which in my case is working fine, my issue is with WIFI, it is not working at the moment.

But thanks for helping.

Best,

C

*** UPDATE ***

I've ordered a new motherboard since I tried two different wifi cards and both failed. Ordering a new wifi card will take 20 days to arrive so MB seemed a faster way to troubleshoot.

Well. cutting a long story short, it didn't work. Now, I am really out of options, I will try a new card but it's going to take some time.

Any ideas? Config.plist files I can test?

I will update the thread as I find more information.

Best,

C

On 6/16/2020 at 8:26 AM, Hervé said:

Yup, sounds like motherboard-related issue then. That and/or OpenCore settings of course...

Hi Hervé,

I found something interesting in another forum, the user says that the Z390 i motherboard (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-Socket/dp/B07J6762XD) only accepts CNVi cards and no other card including the OOB Broadcom cards.

Do you think it could be the issue? It makes sense, I tested 3x different cards with 2x brand new motherboards. It is the only logical issue here, of course config.plist could be a problem but the cards should work OOB.

Thanks

Edited by 9999x9
Removed link to Voldemort's place :)

That's where everything starts to get a little confusing...

Watching this hackintosh install video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQoyzWGlhE4), the person had a Gigabyte B360N which has a CNVi wireless card just like my Gigabyte Aorus Z390i Pro WIFI has. Also, he used the same wifi card and adapter that I have tried, it worked on his install but it didn't work on mine. That is why I never gave too much attention to the CNVi card thing as it has precedent of a working install.

What do you reckon the options are?

1. A different motherboard? Which one for a mini-itx? 

2. A wifi and bt usb dongle? Which one for high speed connection? I possibly need one for each, wifi and one for bt.

3. An adapter for my M2 Broadcom BCM94360NG to use on the second M2 slot? https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000274478342.html

I'm confused tbh, I bought all the parts I saw on builds thinking it would be smooth and not with too much issues.

What do you think/recommend? I appreciate your comments?

Best

• 2 months later...

Hello, I just did exactly what you are mentioning 

On 6/20/2020 at 10:09 AM, 9999x9 said:

I'm confused tbh, I bought all the parts I saw on builds thinking it would be smooth and not with too much issues.

I'm thinking of buying this adaptor with this extensions to reuse the built-in space for the antennas.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:09 AM, 9999x9 said:

3. An adapter for my M2 Broadcom BCM94360NG to use on the second M2 slot? https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000274478342.html

Which route did you decide? Did you have any success until now?