[Guides]NEC(Lenovo) Lavie Z HZ550 hackintosh with UEFI only

y010204025

7 posts in this topic

Update: on February 13, 2022, support to the latest macOS 12.2.1, update OpenCore and drivers to the latest, and solve the problem of logging in to the screen, wifi, and sound.

Update: On October 24, 2020, using clover to solve the macOS11 beta10 boot problem, you can now enjoy macOS11beta10, and the compatibility of subsequent versions is not guaranteed.
HIDPI uses a modified version. You can directly execute the hidpi script to get a better experience. If you lose the repair, it is not within the scope of my support.
Support upgrades without destroying the integrity of the original image.

There seems to be a problem with the shortcut keys. If you can help solve it, thank you for your contribution.

Perhaps it was the first NEC (Lenovo) Lavie Z HZ550 to install hackintosh. I hope more people who like Lavie Z series can experience Hackintosh at HZ550. She is really great.

I found HZ550 & HZ750 on the Chinese website, which is amazing. It weighs only 790g, 13.3 inches, and the standard 2k screen, which is too attractive to me. I am a Hackintosh enthusiast. I think HZ550 or HZ750 with MacOS is the best Unfortunately, the Lavie Z series is not listed in China, only exists in the Japanese and American markets, and in the Japanese market is the NEC brand, while the American market uses the Lenovo logo.

Fortunately, I got an HZ550 from Taobao. Yes, not HZ750. In comparison, HZ750 has more touch screens and 360 ° flip. These are hard to attract me. More importantly, HZ750 is about 200g heavier than HZ550 That's why I chose HZ550. Well, because he is only 2,000 RMB.

The specific introduction can refer to NEC Japan official website:http://nec-lavie.jp/products/hz13b/

The HZ550 hardware list I obtained:

-/+:.          ningnan@ningnandeMacBook-Air
                :++++.          OS: 64bit Mac OS X 10.15.5 19F96
               /+++/.           Kernel: x86_64 Darwin 19.5.0
       .:-::- .+/:-``.::-       Uptime: 19m
    .:/++++++/::::/++++++/:`    Packages: 1
  .:///////////////////////:`   Shell: zsh 5.7.1
  ////////////////////////`     Resolution: 3840x2160
 -+++++++++++++++++++++++`      DE: Aqua
 /++++++++++++++++++++++/       WM: Quartz Compositor
 /sssssssssssssssssssssss.      WM Theme: Blue (Dark)
 :ssssssssssssssssssssssss-     Disk: 11G / 108G (12%)
  osssssssssssssssssssssssso/`  CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U @ 2.40GHz
  `syyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy+`  GPU: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
   `ossssssssssssssssssssss/    RAM: 4376MiB / 8192MiB
     :ooooooooooooooooooo+.    
      `:+oo+/:-..-:/+o+/-     

Advantages: small size, light weight, 2K screen, 8G memory, 512g SSD, keyboard feels good, and wireless network card can be replaced, which is unimaginable in today's thin and light books.
Disadvantages: The sound is small, almost the same as the mosquitoes.

Ok, bragging is over!
In order to use the wireless network, I changed the wireless network card from inter 7265 to BCM94352ZAE. Some people called it DW1560. It is uncomfortable that in China, this card and his elder brother DW1830 were hyped to a high price of 480RMB. of. Fortunately, I bought it early, and this card is also very stable under win10, and there is no high delay and outage. The hard disk should be PM951 of Samsung, not PM981, which is lucky.

Before installing Hackintosh:
You need to prepare a 16G U disk, SanDisk is not a rough choice for making MacOS installation disk, I used the latest MacOS Catalina 10.15.5, got config.plist from Rehabman, and put together an EFI, the latest version of clover and kext drivers. Thanks to Rehabman and the developers of the Black Apple community. I do n’t like that OC team very much.
Make an installation disk: If you have a computer running MacOS, you can use the command line to make it, if you do n’t have a computer running MacOS, you can try VMware, I know that the insanelymac forum allows discussion, or use ether to write the image to U disk, use the EFI I provided to boot into the installation process.

BIOS setting:
Press F12 at boot to enter the BIOS settings, Tab switches to "Security-Secure boot", set to "DISable", this is what we need, and switch to "Boot -Boot devices", set the U disk as the first boot item You can directly enter the clover guide interface, please follow it for google it.

It is worth noting that the remaining space of your EFI partition needs to be greater than 200M, otherwise, the disk format will be wrong. In addition, the format partition format is APFS, do not choose to encrypt, your data is not valuable, at least you must have this awareness of Hackintosh, the file safe is also the same, do not enable, do not use to find your mac, otherwise, change the machine, OK .

Fortunately, no additional ssdt patch is required. All the patch functions are implemented through clover. The flat Apple is turned on. This is to solve the problem of the flower screen. You can find a solution yourself.
Experience your black apple, this will bring a better experience than MacBook Pro.

OC-078.zip

Edited by y010204025

• 3 months later...

I have the same laptop and I want to try to make it run on catalina.

My problem is that I do not have any macbook or any mac machine here to create the installation disk.

Is there a way to create it on windows only? I tried running vmware + mac ... but it was super slow.. that is why I ask if there are other tools on windows that I could use to create the installation disk.

how is your battery running on catalina? is it the same? or it consumes battery faster on catalina? how about the temperatures? comparing it when running on windows 10

Thanks!

Hey, I can understand your confusion. This is how I tried. You need a mirror that can be used for installation, and you can get it here. Then use etcher or transmac to write to the U disk, so you will get an installation disk with clover boot. It is recommended to delete the EFI directory in the installation disk and move to the EFI provided by me. You will be able to or a USB flash drive that can be booted/installed on HZ550.
step:
1. Make and install U disk, replace EFI boot
2. Make a winPE maintenance disk, which is helpful for you to perform some other operations, including modifying the disk partition and the ESP partition size of the notebook hard disk (500M is recommended, and the minimum is not less than 200M)
3. Modify the BIOS settings, disable fast startup, and select UEFI boot mode.
4. Shut down, insert winPE maintenance U disk, enter winPE, modify what you need to modify
5. Using bootice, add clover boot item in UEFI series, locate the location of cloverx64.efi, then rename the name of boot item to clover, and move it to the first boot item.
6. Shut down, insert the macOS installation U disk, boot, if you are lucky, you will see a brand new interface, and then you can install normally.
Tip: Prepare 2 U disks, one for making macOS boot disk and the other for making winPE maintenance U disk. The remaining space of the hard disk ESP partition cannot be less than 200M, otherwise you will not be able to format the hard disk partition as HFS before installation or apfs format. Finally, don't choose encryption, don't choose anytime.
Maybe you have difficulty reading Chinese. This is the same as when I read English. On blog.daliansky.net, there are some articles similar to insanelymac, you can read them. skepe:y010204025@hotmail.com, you can communicate with me if necessary.

Hi,

Sorry if I can't really understand some steps... I am pretty new with Hackintosh. A friend lend me a hackintosh running on catalina but he is not the one who installed it so I cannot ask him.

1. Downloaded catalina from app store.

2. Formatted the USB (Sandisk 128GB - I have no other usb drive here): Opened `DiskUtility` > Erase (Format: Mac OS Extended, Scheme: GUID Partition Map)

3. Run this in Terminal: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app --nointeraction

4. Downloaded Clover Configurator

a. Tools > Mount EFI

b. On `EFI Partitions`, click `Mount Partition` on the USB drive

c. On the USB drive, click `Open Partition` and it will open in Finder

5. Downloaded your `EFI_HZ550.zip`, and Extracted it. I found two folders `BOOT` and `CLOVER`

6. Replaced the EFI folder on the USB installer with the downloaded EFI from y010204025

7. Restarted my lavie and go to BIOS to disable secured boot, and set boot priority to USB disk. Then Restart lavie

8. When it boots from USB, select boot from USB to install catalina (left side choice)

9. It shows something like when booting in recovery mode, do not install catalina yet... Open disk utility to erase the partition on the disk where you will install catalina.

10. Before erasing the main disk, Select Format as `Mac Journaled` and Scheme `GUID Partition Map`. Then click `Erase`

11. After erasing the main disk, its time to install catalina on the main disk. Proceed with the installation process/steps. It may restart a couple of times, when it do... during booting on USB... select the option on the right side (boot mac on disk... not on usb installer).

Issues I encountered AFTER installing catalina on my lavie:

1. Whenever my lavie restarts, before showing the apple loading logo... it first show the clover boot UI and you have to press enter first to select boot mac from HDD. It would be great to just see the apple logo loading directly instead of presenting the clover boot page for a few seconds before the apple loading logo.

Solution: None as of the moment 

2. Wifi and Bluetooth not working:

Solution: I need to change the wifi card to an apple compatible card like DW1560, hopefully it will be supported by apple and no driver/kext will be needed (just a guess)

3. USB ports works selectively depending on the device plugged in: I tried plugging in my wireless mouse (2.4Ghz) and it cannot connect via USB dongle, Same with my USB mech keyboard (wired and wireless BT)... it does not connect also. But when I plugin my USB -> Ethernet which is from apple.. it works like charm. I am using this to connect to LAN (Internet). Also, I connect a generic wired mouse via USB and it also worked.

Solution: Seems not all USB devices can be used with mac.

4. Track/touch pad basic functionality only: Only left and right click and mouse pointer functions on my track/touch pad. No gestures yet, unlike when running on windows where I can do multi fingers gestures.

Solution: Download VoodooI2C, extract and copy VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CELAN.kext to (mac partition) EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other. Then restart. You should be able to use simple gestures.

5. Display resolution quality: The current resolution is 1440p which displays the texts and icons very small. I need to lower the resolution to make the text readable. In windows, I can set the resolution to 1440p but set the quality to either 150% to 200% and the texts will be readable and images are more sharp (nice to look at). In catalina, I cannot find the settings for display quality 100%-200%... I can only change the resolution.

Solution: Select appropriate scale/resolution in Settings > Displays > Display. This is not the best solution but with this you can set/change the resolution.

Update: DW1560 I bought seems not compatible with Lenovo, what is the specific wifi card you use y010204025? I just installed my DW1560 on the other catalina hackintosh machine and it works... but not on my lavie.

Problem is that I do not know how to install the wifi antenna for DW1560 in a SFF/Mini PC .. seems there is no improvement in the Wifi/BT hahaha.

Thanks y010204025!

Edited by Borgy Manotoy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 5/29/2020 at 11:58 PM, y010204025 said:
On 5/29/2020 at 11:58 PM, y010204025 说:

更新:2024年1月9日,安装最新的macOS12.7.3版本,OpenCore和驱动更新到最新0.9.7版本,解决蓝牙问题,精简启动参数。

机型:NEC HZ550,VK系列5代机应该也适用。

OpenCore:0.9.7

macOS:12.7.3

无线网卡:BCM94352Z(联想版本),蓝牙可用。

CPU:i7-5500U

如果是英特尔无线网卡,可以自己去掉博通相关驱动。

或许有人会需要,后续更新,随缘。

Update: on February 13, 2022, support to the latest macOS 12.2.1, update OpenCore and drivers to the latest, and solve the problem of logging in to the screen, wifi, and sound.
更新:2022 年 2 月 13 日,支持最新的 macOS 12.2.1,将 OpenCore 和驱动更新到最新版本,解决登录屏幕、wifi、声音的问题。

Update: On October 24, 2020, using clover to solve the macOS11 beta10 boot problem, you can now enjoy macOS11beta10, and the compatibility of subsequent versions is not guaranteed.
更新:2020 年 10 月 24 日,使用 clover 解决 macOS11 beta10 开机问题,现在可以享受 macOS11beta10,后续版本的兼容性不保证。

HIDPI uses a modified version. You can directly execute the hidpi script to get a better experience. If you lose the repair, it is not within the scope of my support.
HIDPI 使用修改后的版本。您可以直接执行 hidpi 脚本以获得更好的体验。如果您丢失了维修,则不在我的支持范围内。

Support upgrades without destroying the integrity of the original image.
支持在不破坏原始映像完整性的情况下进行升级。

There seems to be a problem with the shortcut keys. If you can help solve it, thank you for your contribution.
快捷键似乎有问题。如果你能帮助解决它,谢谢你的贡献。

Perhaps it was the first NEC (Lenovo) Lavie Z HZ550 to install hackintosh. I hope more people who like Lavie Z series can experience Hackintosh at HZ550. She is really great.
也许这是第一个安装 hackintosh 的 NEC(联想)Lavie Z HZ550。希望更多喜欢Lavie Z系列的人能在HZ550体验Hackintosh。她真的很棒。

I found HZ550 & HZ750 on the Chinese website, which is amazing. It weighs only 790g, 13.3 inches, and the standard 2k screen, which is too attractive to me. I am a Hackintosh enthusiast. I think HZ550 or HZ750 with MacOS is the best Unfortunately, the Lavie Z series is not listed in China, only exists in the Japanese and American markets, and in the Japanese market is the NEC brand, while the American market uses the Lenovo logo.
我在中文网站上找到了HZ550和HZ750,这真是太神奇了。它仅重790g,13.3英寸,标准的2k屏幕,对我来说太有吸引力了。我是 Hackintosh 的爱好者。我认为 HZ550 或 HZ750 搭配 MacOS 是最好的 不幸的是,Lavie Z系列在中国没有上市,只存在于日美市场,在日本市场是NEC品牌,而美国市场则使用联想标志。

Fortunately, I got an HZ550 from Taobao. Yes, not HZ750. In comparison, HZ750 has more touch screens and 360 ° flip. These are hard to attract me. More importantly, HZ750 is about 200g heavier than HZ550 That's why I chose HZ550. Well, because he is only 2,000 RMB.
幸运的是,我从淘宝那里得到了一台HZ550。是的,不是 HZ750。相比之下,HZ750拥有更多的触摸屏和360°翻转。这些很难吸引我。更重要的是,HZ750比HZ550重约200g,这就是我选择HZ550的原因。嗯,因为他只有2000元。

The specific introduction can refer to NEC Japan official website:http://nec-lavie.jp/products/hz13b/
具体介绍可参考NEC日本官网:http://nec-lavie.jp/products/hz13b/

The HZ550 hardware list I obtained:
我获得的HZ550硬件清单:

-/+:.          ningnan@ningnandeMacBook-Air
-/+:.ningnan@ningnandeMacBook-Air
                :++++.          OS: 64bit Mac OS X 10.15.5 19F96
:++++.操作系统: 64bit Mac OS X 10.15.5 19F96
               /+++/.           Kernel: x86_64 Darwin 19.5.0
/+++/.内核:x86_64 Darwin 19.5.0
       .:-::- .+/:-``.::-       Uptime: 19m
.:-::- .+/:-''.::- 正常运行时间:19m
    .:/++++++/::::/++++++/:`    Packages: 1
.:/++++++/:::::/++++++/:' 包装: 1
  .:///////////////////////:`   Shell: zsh 5.7.1
.:///////////////////////:' 外壳:zsh 5.7.1
  ////////////////////////`     Resolution: 3840x2160
' 分辨率: 3840x2160
 -+++++++++++++++++++++++`      DE: Aqua
-+++++++++++++++++++++++' DE: Aqua
 /++++++++++++++++++++++/       WM: Quartz Compositor
/++++++++++++++++++++++/ WM:石英合成器
 /sssssssssssssssssssssss.      WM Theme: Blue (Dark)
/sssssWM 主题:蓝色(深色)
 :ssssssssssssssssssssssss-     Disk: 11G / 108G (12%)
:sssss- 磁盘: 11G / 108G (12%)
  osssssssssssssssssssssssso/`  CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U @ 2.40GHz
osssssso/' CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U @ 2.40GHz
  `syyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy+`  GPU: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
“syyyyyy+” GPU:英特尔锐炬显卡 6100
   `ossssssssssssssssssssss/    RAM: 4376MiB / 8192MiB
'osssss/ 内存:4376MiB / 8192MiB
     :ooooooooooooooooooo+.     :噢噢噢
      `:+oo+/:-..-:/+o+/-       ':+oo+/:-..-:/+o+/-

Advantages: small size, light weight, 2K screen, 8G memory, 512g SSD, keyboard feels good, and wireless network card can be replaced, which is unimaginable in today's thin and light books.
优点:体积小、重量轻、2K屏幕、8G内存、512g SSD、键盘手感好,可以更换无线网卡,这在当今轻薄的书本中是不可想象的。

Disadvantages: The sound is small, almost the same as the mosquitoes.
缺点:声音小,几乎和蚊子一样。

Ok, bragging is over! 好了,吹牛结束了!
In order to use the wireless network, I changed the wireless network card from inter 7265 to BCM94352ZAE. Some people called it DW1560. It is uncomfortable that in China, this card and his elder brother DW1830 were hyped to a high price of 480RMB. of. Fortunately, I bought it early, and this card is also very stable under win10, and there is no high delay and outage. The hard disk should be PM951 of Samsung, not PM981, which is lucky.
为了使用无线网络,我将无线网卡从inter 7265改为BCM94352ZAE。有人称它为DW1560。令人不舒服的是,在中国,这张卡和他的哥哥DW1830被炒作到480元的高价。之。好在买得早,这张卡在win10下也非常稳定,没有高延迟和宕机。硬盘应该是三星的PM951,而不是PM981,这是幸运的。

Before installing Hackintosh:
在安装 Hackintosh 之前:
You need to prepare a 16G U disk, SanDisk is not a rough choice for making MacOS installation disk, I used the latest MacOS Catalina 10.15.5, got config.plist from Rehabman, and put together an EFI, the latest version of clover and kext drivers. Thanks to Rehabman and the developers of the Black Apple community. I do n’t like that OC team very much.
你需要准备一个16G U盘,闪迪并不是制作MacOS安装盘的粗略选择,我用的是最新的MacOS Catalina 10.15.5,从Rehabman那里得到了config.plist,并拼凑了一个EFI,最新版本的clover和kext驱动。感谢 Rehabman 和 Black Apple 社区的开发者。我不太喜欢那个OC团队。
Make an installation disk: If you have a computer running MacOS, you can use the command line to make it, if you do n’t have a computer running MacOS, you can try VMware, I know that the insanelymac forum allows discussion, or use ether to write the image to U disk, use the EFI I provided to boot into the installation process.
制作安装盘:如果你有一台运行 MacOS 的电脑,你可以使用命令行来制作,如果你没有运行 MacOS 的电脑,你可以试试 VMware,我知道 insanelymac 论坛允许讨论,或者使用 ether 将镜像写入 U 盘,使用我提供的 EFI 启动进入安装过程。

BIOS setting: BIOS设置:
Press F12 at boot to enter the BIOS settings, Tab switches to "Security-Secure boot", set to "DISable", this is what we need, and switch to "Boot -Boot devices", set the U disk as the first boot item You can directly enter the clover guide interface, please follow it for google it.
开机时按F12进入BIOS设置,Tab切换到“安全-安全开机”,设置为“DISable”,这就是我们需要的,切换到“开机-开机设备”,将U盘设置为第一个开机项可以直接进入三叶草引导界面,请跟着谷歌一下。

It is worth noting that the remaining space of your EFI partition needs to be greater than 200M, otherwise, the disk format will be wrong. In addition, the format partition format is APFS, do not choose to encrypt, your data is not valuable, at least you must have this awareness of Hackintosh, the file safe is also the same, do not enable, do not use to find your mac, otherwise, change the machine, OK
值得注意的是,您的 EFI 分区的剩余空间需要大于 200M,否则磁盘格式会错误。另外,格式分区格式是APFS,不要选择加密,你的数据是没有价值的,至少你要有Hackintosh这个意识,文件安全也是一样的,不启用,不要用去找你的mac,否则,换机器,OK .

Fortunately, no additional ssdt patch is required. All the patch functions are implemented through clover. The flat Apple is turned on. This is to solve the problem of the flower screen. You can find a solution yourself.
幸运的是,不需要额外的 ssdt 补丁。所有补丁功能都是通过 clover 实现的。扁平的苹果已打开。这是为了解决花屏风的问题。您可以自己找到解决方案。

Experience your black apple, this will bring a better experience than MacBook Pro.
体验你的黑苹果,这将带来比MacBook Pro更好的体验。

OC-078.zip 6.53 MB · 3 downloads
6.53 兆字节 ·3

OC-20240109.zip