Radeon 570 - HiSi won't boot without DVI display

2 posts in this topic

Hi friends. The question may be dull and the solution exist for ages - please poke me in the right direction if so. I googled no exact answer.

Initially I was using HiSi on a x58 mobo with Radeon 5770, for several years. The video card became too old for Fusion360, I decided to upgrade. A noname (said powercolor) R570 with 8 gigs. Didn't boot on x58, so I got a GA-z87x mobo.

Booted with lilu.kext blocked, the rest (except USB yet) works OK.

Copied config.plist to the boot partition, updated clover, alles gut - but!

If I disconnect a temporary DVI display and leave only big DP panel on, the boot cycles on +++++++++++++++

If the DVI panel is plugged in, the OS boots ok and sees both panels correctly, I can remove the DVI one later.

My guess is that DP panel does not support some video modes (for example, the Clover menu looks like fat text on CGA) and the bootloader fails on setting some. I tried to remove the -v kernel option so no unsupported mode is being set - but then it keeps rebooting at the white apple, which is confusing too!

Is there any way around this? On the old r5770 the DP was just plain black until the desktop settles in, and I didn't bother.

Edited by cu6apum

I found an odd temporary solution - plugged a HDMI cable of the same big panel into the video card, next to DP. Now it does start, BOTH on DP or HDMI selected, but I do not get the very idea.