GA-Z390M Gaming - Strange artefacts with onboard sound

Humanate

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I am currently using Clover 5114 and Apple ALC 1.4.8 with Lilu 1.4.3 both of which are installed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

Running macOS 10.15.4

My issue is that I have sound, but I am getting lo level squelchy/squeaky noises when no sound playing. I am using high quality speakers and cables (all very high end) and I do not get the issue at all when booting into Windows

I've attached a debug report, can anyone help? Thanks

debug_691.zip

Mount your EFI Partition and open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and place a value in the box as shown then you must save the change, repair permissions and reboot for the change to take effect, you must do this with every change until you find the right value. You may have to try different values until you get the correct one to enable audio to play properly. My board is a z390 so the value 7 works perfect, If you want to know more just google Audio ID Layouts and it should show the various values in use. Good luck.

PS. Try this link for Audio ID Layout values https://github.com/acidanthera/applealc/wiki/supported-codecsScreenshot 2020-04-27 at 12.19.27.png

Edited by eSaF
Add more info

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Mount your EFI Partition and open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and place a value in the box as shown then you must save the change, repair permissions and reboot for the change to take effect, you must do this with every change until you find the right value. You may have to try different values until you get the correct one to enable audio to play properly. My board is a z390 so the value 7 works perfect, If you want to know more just google Audio ID Layouts and it should show the various values in use. Good luck.

PS. Try this link for Audio ID Layout values https://github.com/acidanthera/applealc/wiki/supported-codecs

Hi, thanks for reply. Referring to the link for acidenthera above, I have tried every layout ID compatible with ALC892 1,2,3,4,5,7,12,15,16,17,18,28,31,90,92,97,99 - after each change repaired permissions and rebooted. I have working sound with all of them but still have this low level "chirruping/squelch noise when no sound being played. Wish I could figure this out, like I say, completely silent on Windows boot so I don't think it is components

Ok I understand - You maybe onto something there about the possibility of components as I do sometimes get the same low level noise as described but not all the time. If yours is constant, do some simple tests like unplugging the speaker jack/jacks at the back, replugging the jack/jacks and see if the noise stops. As you noted, I don't get the noise on the Windows side either so that tells me there is a slight conflict within OS X.

I must say one good thing about this lockdown if there is one, we have the chance to tinker to our hearts content :) At the moment I am running NDK's OC Fork and tinkering to get the Boot Chime at Start Up as I have in Clover although Iv'e been informed by my Guru that feature has been dropped in the new Macs but old habits die hard :lol:

Just now, eSaF said:

I must say one good thing about this lockdown if there is one, we have the chance to tinker to our hearts content :) At the moment I am running NDK's OC Fork and tinkering to get the Boot Chime at Start Up as I have in Clover although Iv'e been informed by my Guru that feature has been dropped in the new Macs but old habits die hard :lol:

I know mate, costing me money though. Built a PC for a friend of mine and once I got my hands on the z390 for him with NVME I had to upgrade! Got the new rig running very nicely with the help of PastryChef over at TM. LOL re the chime, its funny how we get so pedantic over little things isn't it? I haven't made the jump to OC yet but I hear it's the way to go....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crawfyp1 said:

I know mate, costing me money though. Built a PC for a friend of mine and once I got my hands on the z390 for him with NVME I had to upgrade! Got the new rig running very nicely with the help of PastryChef over at TM. LOL re the chime, its funny how we get so pedantic over little things isn't it? I haven't made the jump to OC yet but I hear it's the way to go....

Yea OC is definitely the future - If ever you need to have a play with it, head over to Audiogod's thread he's a super guy and he will put you straight, nothing is too much trouble to help you out. One thing you'll notice about OC is the boot speed compared to Clover almost twice as fast specially off an NVMe Drive :thumbsup_anim: