[OpenCore][Vanilla] Displays are very blurry - AMD Ryzen/Radeon build [Help]

Gunzar

1 post in this topic

Hello there!

TL:DR; I built a Hackintosh system using the OpenCore Vanilla Desktop Guide (running Catalina 10.15.4) and I use an AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU and Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU. All works well except my displays are very blurry and it feels like I’ll get a headache if I try to look at the screen for very long. The picture quality is noticeably worse than Windows or Linux. What can I do to fix it?

--

Let me start off by saying that this is my first hackintosh build. I based my build on the Opencore Vanilla Desktop Guide at https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/. I’m running macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

So I finished installing macOS after slowly and carefully taking about 8-10 hours to go through the guide yesterday and make sure I did everything properly. It paid off - it has been solid as a rock. However, there is one problem that is currently bugging me to no end - my displays are very blurry. This seems to be independent of any application or display resolution. My dock icons are blurry, the system text is blurry, app text is blurry (like in Slack, Safari, Notes, etc). This does not occur in Linux or Windows when using the same screens. 

Also, as a test, I hooked up my girlfriend’s MacBook Pro to the same two screens, and the monitors are crystal clear again, just like they usually are in Windows. This leads me to think that my EFI may be configured improperly or my system may be missing some software or a kext that enables the displays to show a sharp image. I attached my EFI folder and my config.plist file for reference. 

EFI setup:

• ACPI:
    • SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml
  • Drivers:
    • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
    • OpenRuntime.efi
    • VBoxHfs.efi
  • Kexts:
    • AppleALC.kext
    • AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext
    • Lilu.kext
    • RealtekRTL8111.kext
    • VirtualSMC.kext
    • WhateverGreen.kext (version 1.3.8)
  • My boot args are: "npci=0x2000 agdpmod=pikera keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1"

System specs:

• Ryzen 5 1600, no overclock or anything special
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM, 32GB total (2x16GB DDR4 dimms running at 2400MHz)
  • XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GPU (this is listed as a PCIe 4.0 GPU, could that cause issues since my motherboard is PCIe 3.0 only? Works great in Windows/Linux)
  • ASUS Prime B350M-A motherboard
  • Samsung PM961 256GB NVMe SSD

My monitors:

• Samsung U32J59x (32” @ 3840x2160)
  • ASUS MX279 (27” @ 1920x1080)
  • The blurry issue also occurs when I plug directly into my 58" Samsung 4K TV.

I’ve already tried these steps:

• Adjusting monitor “sharpness” settings, totally unbearable at “0” but still looks pretty bad even at “100”
  • Trying a bunch of different resolutions in the “Display” preferences. On the 4k monitor, the only one that looks any better is the 1920x1080p option, but then I have far too little screen space left.
  • Using SwitchResX, no different than using different resolutions in the regular Display preferences
  • Using subpixel antialiasing in the terminal with no noticeable difference, even through reboots
  • Turning on/off AMD FreeSync on my 4K monitor — if I turn on FreeSync, the display lags and stutters, and quality is not any better. Also tried turning on/off “game mode” but that had no difference.
  • Tried switching DisplayPort version between 1.1 and 1.2 in monitor settings (on 4K monitor)
  • Checking my BIOS settings, such as making sure CSM is off, against the OpenCore guide that I used to make sure everything was correct

Does anyone else have some other ideas that could help to correct this issue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

-Gunzar

EFI.zip

config.plist