Jump to content

10.6.8 doesnt boot with clover unless I rebuild caches


7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello, I have a weird issue with my system where I am unable to boot OSX through clover without first using an {unsupported} USB to boot (which always works on the 2nd try :P ), then rebuilding the kext caches/repairing permissions, after a reboot I can boot from clover as normal once or twice, then it happens again. If I boot OSX (through clover) without rebuilding the cache, the boot process hangs on loading the cache, and if I boot OSX without caches, it hangs on loading drivers. My clover version is 1344, I tried at least 10 different versions and none of them worked at all except this one, so hopefully this doesnt turn out to be the problem :D

 

My CPU is an I5 2400, I am running modified HD2000 compatible kexts as well as basic ones like fakesmc and an aptiomemfix etc.. all located in /S/L/E/, and my motherboard is an ASUS P8H67-M Pro. I dont think it matters, but I dont directly boot the computer into clover. I boot into rEFInd first and then choose clover from there (multiboot system).

 

Attached is a copy of my config.plist for clover.

Side note - Theres a key for "LegacyBoot" and the string is always "PBR", what does that stand for?

 

Thank you for any help you can provide.

config.plist

Edited by Smoblikat
  • 1 month later...

Why do you boot into rEFInd first when you can load Clover? You can boot Windows from Clover.

 

Looking at your config.plist you have no SMBios stated. Clover will pick one by default and that could be causing your problem. I suggest you set your SMBios to iMac12,1 which uses your CPU.

 

Why are you using Snow Leopard? The only reason I could think of is because you need to use Rosetta. If that is not the case, may I suggest using Lion or Mountain Lion?

 

(IIRC I had this one computer where I had to have -f in the boot-args (Now its NoCaches). Granted this recollection is from 10 years ago when I ran Snow Leopard.)

 

 

Edited by ameris_cyning
7 hours ago, ameris_cyning said:

Why do you boot into rEFInd first when you can load Clover? You can boot Windows from Clover.

 

Looking at your config.plist you have no SMBios stated. Clover will pick one by default and that could be causing your problem. I suggest you set your SMBios to iMac12,1 which uses your CPU.

 

Why are you using Snow Leopard? The only reason I could think of is because you need to use Rosetta. If that is not the case, may I suggest using Lion or Mountain Lion?

 

(IIRC I had this one computer where I had to have -f in the boot-args (Now its NoCaches). Granted this recollection is from 10 years ago when I ran Snow Leopard.)

 

Thank you for the reply.

 

I use rEFInd mostly because its what ive used for years on many of my systems (both apple ones and real computers), and I generally prefer the functionality and configuration of it over the other bootloaders ive tried. Plus I run chromium on some of these machines and clover does not consistently play nicely with the custom grub stuff I have to do to get chromium multibooting to work. The only times I would run clover willingly as my main is if I was chainloading onto some NVMe drive on a system that otherwise doesnt support booting from one.

 

Would you be able to confirm if I have the SMBios setting correct? I dont use the configurator (doesnt run on SL) so all my configs are done by hand:

 <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BoardVersion</key>
        <string>iMac12,1</string>
    </dict>

 

As far as using SL goes, I just happen to really like the default background, and I can mostly tolerate the OS itself (I use windows for desktops, linux for servers). Im the sole net/sys admin for an entirely apple organization, so if I need to manipulate HFS+ volumes or do any appley-stuff, I prefer to have a UI that closer resembles a traditional desktop environment, rather than the more mobile styled newer OS's. I have access to actual modern apple systems if I need to do more than what SL offers.

 

I tried adding the -Nocaches, or -x or whatever it is to force it to boot in safe mode (I already forgot :P), I also used the clover built in options for booting without caches and additional kexts, the issue still persists even with trying those. If you could help confirm that I have the SMBios settings correct I can add it to my .plist, I have a full backup of the disk anyway so im not too concerned with breaking it.

 

 

ProductName, not BoardVersion

 

As for your preference for the UI, I completely understand. I like the look of the old Mac OS X, especially Panther/Tiger. I worship the Blue Apple in the menubar and disdain the black one.

Edited by ameris_cyning
17 hours ago, ameris_cyning said:

ProductName, not BoardVersion

 

As for your preference for the UI, I completely understand. I like the look of the old Mac OS X, especially Panther/Tiger. I worship the Blue Apple in the menubar and disdain the black one.

 

THANK YOU!!

 

Thats insane, I added the ProductName key to my .plist file and I have been able to do many reboots/cold boots without issue. I really appreciate the help, this was definitely a weird issue for me.

 

11 hours ago, Smoblikat said:

 

THANK YOU!!

 

Thats insane, I added the ProductName key to my .plist file and I have been able to do many reboots/cold boots without issue. I really appreciate the help, this was definitely a weird issue for me.

 

 

No problem. Glad to hear that the issue is fixed.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...