Clover USB Boot Manager NOT Showing 'Install OSX Catalina' option: Dell Inspiron 3847, Haswell i5-4460

TimothyF

6 posts in this topic

My PROBLEM: I followed the Plain Vanilla guide (https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/) to a T in creating the OS X Catalina installer USB. I'm totally new to Hackintosh, and just want an Apple environment to Time Machine migrate my files and system from my ageing MacBook Pro. When I start to use the USB on the target PC (Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop), I ONLY see the Microsoft (which is the original OS, and on a SEPARATE Hard drive from where I want to install Mac OS), ZERO option for installing the OSX Catalina! Please SEE PICTURE link: https://imgur.com/a/FnLB2Q9

I'm a beginner, but I tried to google my problem. The answers were either incomplete, hard for me to understand and put into action, or were outdated and applied to older OSXs. I appreciate any help in diagnosing and solving this problem!

Clover USB specs
OS installer used: Catalina (10.15)
Clover revision: 5103
Kexts included:
  • ATH9KFixup.kext
  • AppleALC.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
config.plist: see attached
------------------------------------------
Target Desktop specs: Dell Inspiron 3847 (64 bit)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460, 3.2 GHz, 4 cores
Architecture: Haswell
GPU: Intel HD 4600
Motherboard: Dell 088DT1 (version A01)
Chipset: Intel H81
Install method: with USB, configured with Clover, 100% following Plain Vanilla guide for Desktops
RAM: 12 GB, 2 slots
Hard drive for installation: SATA HDD 4TB, by HGST
LAN: RTL8111/8168/8411
WLAN: AR9565 (atheros)
Audio: Realtek ALC661 (not 100% sure this is correct)

------------------------------------
Attached:
Screenshot of Clover installer not showing the Mac OSX option
config.plist of my installer USB
Clover_Install_Log.txt (not sure if this is relevant)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

qlXB0RM.jpg

config.plist

Clover_Install_Log.txt

Edited by TimothyF

7 minutes ago, Hervé said:
  1. What mode is your BIOS running with? UEFI or Legacy?
  2. How did you install Clover? What options did you select?

Thank you Hervé for helping me with my issue.

1. UEFI with Safe mode OFF. With safe mode on I got an error I wasn't able to get past.

2. I installed Clover through this file: Clover_v2.5k_r5103.pkg.

Because I'm a beginner I followed that Vanilla Guide as closely as possible. So I used their link to download Clover: https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases. I followed their instructions for installing Clover: https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/clover-setup.

I'm sorry I did not document my Clover installation process. If you'd be kind enough to point out where I might find logs/config files for my Clover setup, I'd be glad to copy them over and share with the forum.

Thank you very much,

Tim

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

There is no need to reformat the USB key and re-create your USB installer, just re-install Clover on it with the revised options if appropriate. When you boot Clover, you may also press F3 to try and show any hidden disk entries.

Thank you for all your help. I have checked the additional packages per your screenshots. The one part you didn't expand, "Additional drivers", for me the default is to have nothing selected. So I tried both ways: once still with nothing selected, and once with a few selections I made. Unfortunately both did not improve my situation so far.

Here's the selections I chose in "Additional drivers":

775506226_ScreenShot2020-03-30at9_18_57PM.png.9786fbc5e1b2da7d26ef4104056ee83d.png

After this setup, I insert USB in Dell PC and try again. Unfortunately I still just see the Windows option. Hitting F3 however, reveals a new option: "Boot UEFI internal from ESP". Since it didn't say Mac OS X I didn't try it.

IMG_0694.thumb.jpg.5809ecd99c20f31c2d30632ad9e65cb0.jpg

(BTW googling that exact label didn't help me much) So again I'm stumped; what do you suggest I try next?