[Solved] Cannot enter BIOS (UEFI) settings unless I reset the NVRAM

rthpjm

4 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

This is weird! My build is based on the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WiFi). I’m using OpenCore 0.5.5 as my boot loader. It’s 98% great with just a few things I’m still working on. Has anybody experienced these symptoms?...

When I reboot I see the BIOS/UEFI splash screen that declares “press F2 or DEL to enter the BIOS settings”. If I press DEL as required the screen clears but I don’t see the BIOS settings screens. If I restart (ctrl alt del) go past the splash screen to OpenCore, choose to reset the NVRAM (causes a reboot), get to the splash screen, press DEL, and now it works.

does anyone have any idea why the NVRAM setting appear to be stopping me accessing the BIOS settings?

Edited by rthpjm

Solved - at least I think I found a work around...

The BIOS has a setting for the splash screen size: auto, full screen, hidden

I’ve set that value to full screen and it now seems to consistently enter BIOS settings when required. 

My guess is that the OpenCore control of the UEFI console (GOP) is introducing something that is incompatible with BIOS screen drawing. Probably the OpenCore screen resolution. It’s just a guess but it seems reasonable. 

Since the work around appears to have fixed my issue I won’t progress any further. I don’t think it’s a bug, just an incompatibility. I’ve posted here in case anyone else hits the same issue...

• 5 months later...

I was eventually able to get to my BIOS by taking out the M.2 SSD and booting up. After I got into the BIOS, I shut down, reinstalled the M.2 SSD and was able to get to the BIOS again, this time with the SSD in. (Side note, I was able to cause the problem that put it in this bad state to begin with, and taking out the SSD fixed it again.)